VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:48:28 -0700
Lisa:
You didn't say what version of Windows (assuming Windows) you are using. If you are using Windows, my suggestion is that you set the volume from the Control Panel's Sounds and Audio Devices menu. With Windows XP, the easiest way to get there is to go to the Start menu, press s for Settings, c for Control Panel, and s for Sounds and Audio Devices. Once inside Sounds and Audio devices, you will be in the Volume menu. Check your system's general volume setting, then go to the Advanced button, and check the volume settings for the individual devices.

As to what may have happened, my guess is that your nephew may have unwittingly loaded or played something on your computer that automatically turns down the volume (early versions of the Realplayer did this), and all you can do to fix it is to make the volume correction, then check history, and either your desktop or my documents folders to see what he may have downloaded. Good luck!

Ted Chittenden
---- Lisa McManus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a major problem.  My 7 year old nephew was using my computer looking up things on the internet.  I use window eyes 7.2 and it was working just fine before he was on the computer.  I seriously doubt that he knew how to go into menus and such to change the volume settings on the computer, but somehow now that he left there is no sound on my computer unless I put a dvd in the computer.  That is how I am writing this email.  As long as cyber link is open and talking I can go into my email and on the internet, but as soon as I close cyber link power dvd there is no sound or speech on my computer.  Can anyone give a wild guess as to what could have happened to the sound and what I can do?  Thanks very much.

Lisa

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]