VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:25:25 -0500
Mary,

The Supreme Court has ruled that people who are HIV positive and show no
symptoms of AIDS or any HIV related disease are covered under the
Americans with Disabilities Act because they are limited in the major
life activity of reproduction.  Courts, except perhaps Judge Shedd's, do
not consider the cause of the disability in determining if disability
discrimination has occurred.  This includes the causes you mentioned for
those who are HIV positive, those who have respiratory ailments from
cigarette smoking, those who are quadriplegic after ignoring a no
swimming or diving sign, and former and present gang members who got shot
and are now disabled.

Kelly