VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:08:21 -0500
I agree with everything, and although I wouldn't cry if MS were to take over
the security market, I do have a few concerns in that area. First, I wonder
about how well an MS product would integrate with non-MS applications such
as Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, Lotus Notes and so on. I think it would be
a shame if this ended up locking people even more into MS products.

Second, if MS were to take over this market, I would worry about MSE
languishing just as Internet Explorer did in the days before Firefox.

Finally, I would worry about what this means for the future of the built-in
security of MS products. I know MSE is free, but OneCare and Forefront are
not free, so where's the incentive of MS to put out a more secure Windows,
Exchange Server and so on, if they make money selling the security suites
for the very same products?

I doubt Microsoft will end up taking over this market, and this competition
may very well be good for the market. Like I said, I also won't cry if it
does happen, and in fact, I have MSE running on one of my systems right now.
These are just some thoughts that crept into the back of my head.

--
Christopher