VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 13:42:54 -0500
Jeff:

I never touch those things or even look at them unless there is some issue
or just out of curiosity.  Well, sometimes, I may want to learn something
but I don't change settings casually.

I don't know definitively how they get changed.  I do think that Microsoft
products think they know better than the user at times.  I ran into it first
about ten years ago when a colleague and I were developing a web site for
someone.  He was using FrontPage and every time he changed the layout and
the dimensions of some images of documents, they looked OK on screen, but
when he saved the changes and reloaded the page,  MS FrontPage had reverted
to the previous layout and dimensions of the pictures.  He just couldn't get
the changes to stick, so I figured out how to code the page and I hand-coded
it so the images and the layout were static and we never use FrontPage
again.  I find MS Word, Outlook, Outlook Express and IE to do some things
without being prompted.  For example, in Outlook Express, if there are a lot
of messages in a mail folder, I've had OE group them by topic or
conversation on its own!  I had a friend who is pretty good at using a
computer, but one day she called me in a panic because she couldn't find a
message that she had seen earlier that day and it was important.  She used
Outlook not Outlook Express, but I suggested that she check her view
settings -- sure enough she called back 20 minutes later and the settings
had been changed in Outlook, just as I had experienced in OE.

In addition, I have found some program and Windows settings changed after a
shutdown that was not picture perfect, sometimes even when I was unaware
that it did not shutdown normally.  This suggests that the Microsoft and/or
software vendors do not have the reconstruction of the pre-shutdown
conditions under control.

With all the software that we have on our computers these days to protect us
against all sorts of things like spam, viruses, and so on, I feel confident
that there are conflicts that can produce bad behavior of computers.

I am sure that some of us have had our computers lock up or even just one
program, and so we have pushed the power button.  Then we reboot and what is
that new configuration going to look like?

Stan