VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ian F." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian F.
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:48:36 +0100
Hi Dorene,

Thanks for your comments. I suspect you are right.

It seems to me they haven't really thought this through, which is such a
shame given that they've put the work into making an accessible product.

UK Kindle users who wish to use text-to-speech functions have the same
restrictions placed on them as US customers. If the author chooses not
to allow access via text-to-speech, then irrespective of whether the
Kindle user is in the UK or the US and/or is using their Kindle device
or Kindle PC software, text-to-speech won't work.

Where the author has not actively made a decision to refuse access to
their content via text-to-speech strategies, both US and UK customers
can access content via text-to-speech when using their Kindle devices.
However, only US customers can access content via text-to-speech
strategies when using Kindle PC software. Also, it seems that the Kindle
PC app appears to be actively refusing to expose itself to screenreader
software. This seems wrong to me irrespective of intellectual property
or copyright arguments.

Obviously, screenreader users will get around this problem by using the
same techniques they use to access some PDF documents e.g. via onscreen
OCR strategies, to access the Kindle application window, or will
experiment into hacking into ebook files to extract the text, but it
seems wrong to me that people should have to go to these extremes just
to read a book that's already fundamentally been produced in a
potentially accessible format.

Ian