VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:35:08 -0700
Hi All,

I just updated my desktop to the Windows 10 Creator's update by
installing and running the Update Assistant. I was excited about talking
my way through the update as I've heard from a mainstream podcast and
from Blind Bargains. Weirdly, that didn't happen for me. I'll explained
what happened in case others have the same experience.

I installed the Update Assistant, which took a surprisingly long time.
While it downloaded, I browsed a week's worth of BARD releases, had
lunch, and read email. After that, I went into my Downloads folder and
pressed enter on the installer. Next I pressed alt+y to let the update
make changes to my computer. Then I sat around and played leftist
YouTube comedy videos on my phone. The updater said it could take up to
ninety minutes, so I didn't panic when nothing happened right away, but
after two hours, ....

I hit Windows+enter and ctrl+Windows+enter. One of them started
Narrator. Jaws started talking as well. I tabbed around. When I found
the Use Cortana option, I pressed enter on it, but that only made the
log-in screen come up. I signed in, and I closed both Edge and Narrator.
Everything was back to normal after that. This was unlike previous
updates, where I had to answer questions and set up Wi-Fi.

Not sure why things didn't work for me as advertised, but the transition
was straight-forward once I started speech. Just sharing with the class.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]