VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:54:11 -0500
Dorene

Let me bring in a dose of reality into the discussion that wasn't an issue
a year or more back.
The economy is suffering; companies, in many instances, are on life
support.
Folks in the real world are worried about having a job, whether they can
pay their mortgages, the declining value of their investments, and the
falling apart of stability around them.
It may be tough for some on this list to accept this notion:  but for most
in the real world, having food on the table takes priority to whether a
given site is accessible (whatever that term means anyway for, as has been
shown over and over, many sites are very usable even if they aren't
totally acessible).
I am not suggesting that accessability isn't important but, in the grand
scheme of things, it is going to play second fiddle until stability
returns and prosperity resumes.
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble; but a company who is perhaps lettings its
employees go, seeing declining sales, and other signs of a recessionary
economy isn't in a strong position to allocate resources to some things.
Accessibility is for a time of economic prosperity; but that era, for the
time being, is on memory lane and our expectations must be reshaped to
meet current priorities.
The reality is that the web is exceedingly usable, and there are a lot of
businesses doing their best to make their sites as usable as possible for
the majority of their current and potential customers -- that makes good
business sense.  That said, litigation these days isn't going to get much
sympathy on these issues beyound the diehard members of given national
organizations.

Good works do not make a good man; but a good man does good works.
Martin Luther

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]