VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 May 2016 17:20:10 -0700
Since this thread has several topics going on, I'm going to address them
all.

About alternative browsers ...

In general, Firefox and Chrome work like Internet explorer. The two big
differences I can think of are these:

* In both browsers, you press ctrl+l (instead of ctrl+o) to open a new link.

* What Internet Explorer calls Favorites, the other browsers call
Bookmarks.

* The menus are set up differently, but I haven't worked enough with
Internet Explorer in so long that I don't remember. In Firefox, you go
into Tools > Options, then you're on a web interface that takes a little
getting used to. In Chrome, you tab to Settings and press enter only to
be on what seems to be the same webpage. I'd give a better explanation,
but my head is fried from serious grading, so I'm not feeling very
detail oriented this evening.

There are other differences, of course, but they're minor, the sort of
thing you can figure out as you go along.

About the Windows 10 upgrade extension for users of assistive technology ...

Microsoft hasn't released very many details yet. The announcement,
however, is here:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2016/05/06/accessibility-and-the-windows-10-free-upgrade/

@Jim, I'm curious to know why you consider the move to Windows 8.1
unfortunate. Once I figured out how to tell the computer to boot to the
desktop, I didn't notice much difference between Windows 7 and 8 for
most things, and I've found that working on the web is much improved in
terms of stability and screen reader focus.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]