VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 20:24:49 -0500

   For Volunteer Managers:
   Online Culture

   Most of your communications with online volunteers will be done via
   email. Learning to communicate in text-only can be a challenge for
   some people, volunteer and manager alike. Sometimes, you have to
   interpret people's communication and assist them to be clear and
   effective online.

   You will experience a wide variety of communicators as you work with
   online volunteers:
     * Some write emails exactly as they talk, using punctuation and
       "smileys" to show emotion or expression.
     * Some write formally.
     * Some write short and to the point.
     * Some write often.
     * Some interpret silence as approval, others as disapproval.
     * Some who email you and then call, as they aren't absolutely
       certain of technology and need the approving voice.
     * Some write emails littered with punctuation, spelling and sentence
       structure errors, but are very articulate on the telephone.
     * Some are not completely aware of all of the functions on their
       email software (setting line length, type size, having a
       signature, setting the default to reply to the sender rather than
       everyone, etc.)
     * Some "documentors" and some "snippers": Some feel it is necessary
       to keep the full reply even if it is the 6th message passed.
       Others like to respond in a concise manner, so much so that it can
       be hard to figure out what they are responding or referring to
       (this may not be a culture difference, as much as a difference in
       email systems or the person's technical know how).

   As is noted in Working Together Online, an excellent publication by
   Maureen James and Liz Rykert, in association with Web Networks,
   http://www.web.net, "Drawing out the human tone and feelings from
   online text can be tricky." Even silence can be misinterpreted. "One
   reason that silence occurs is that the person posting the message
   hasn't been clear about what kind of response they are looking for."

   Working Together Online offers what the Virtual Volunteering Project
   feels is the some of the best advice regarding communicating with
   volunteers online:
   "Never make assumptions about what you are reading. Learn to move
       slowly in what feels like a very fast medium."

   One person who involves volunteers virtually told the VV Project
   Manager, "A few times when I 'etalked' with people for years as if
   they were undergrads, then found out they were department heads!!!"

   The same has been true for the VV Project Manager, only in reverse: "A
   few times I have corresponded with an online volunteer for several
   weeks as if that person was a working professional, because of the
   tone of the person's emails and the quality of work. Later, I've
   realized, upon reviewing the original volunteer application, that the
   person is actually 14 or 15 years old!"

   Written online exchanges can't tell us everything about a person, and
   can even be unintentionally misleading. Also, working with volunteers
   online, even those you have met face-to-face at some point, means you
   are unable to visually read a person's facial or voice "cues" about
   how they are feeling, their enthusiasm (or lack their of), etc.

   Brenda Ruth of the Boulder Community Network, a VV Project Affiliate,
   has a lot of experience working with online volunteers, and says,
   "There are very distinct personalities behind the words and it is easy
       to get in the mode of seeing e-mail as a long to-do list, rather
       than human interaction.
       "Email opens up lots of opportunities for people who aren't
       comfortable in face-to-face communication. I find that people are
       OK about saying, 'no,' moreso than if I called or was in person.
       Falling back on my communication studies in college, this makes
       sense because so many 'yes' answers are prompted by how the
       request was made in voice tone, physical proximity and inclusion
       of touch.
       "The most successful projects are when I have declared
       expectations of what I expect when, and the volunteer can agree to
       it, or not and turn it down, or modify. I also find this when
       working with organizations, that people who aren't direct in
       physical meetings are so by email.
       "There is also the documentation factor that is available on email
       and not in physical contact. Knowing that people can relook at
       what is said, or save what was said I think changes interaction
       online. One can't fall back on the classic, 'I called and left
       several messages last week...' You have proof that you did or did
       not send or receive them. For me personally, I will double check
       facts before I write something I am only a little bit familiar
       with. Whereas in speaking I wouldn't hesitate to make an educated
       guess."

   Penny Leisch of the Arizona Pioneers' Home Volunteers Association
   (also a VV Project affiliate), offers this advice for communicating
   with volunteers via email:
   "People interpret written words based on their experiences, culture
       and education. Some people are very literal, good readers and very
       good listeners. Other people need the same information repeated
       several times before they assimilate everything. These people need
       to be led through tasks step-by-step.
       "Online volunteers may come from a variety of cultures and my
       everyday terms can mean something totally different to them. For
       instance, in Australia a 'downy' is what we call a comforter or
       bed cover in the US. I can usually tell when there is a cultural
       difference by the physical structure of the written grammar. I've
       learned to watch for these types of indicators.
       "Some people probably remember doing an exercise in school where
       one person stands at a chalkboard and the class gives verbal
       instructions to guide them through drawing a shape. The person at
       the chalkboard has not seen the shape. Usually, the result is a
       very different from the intended shape.
       "The most important instructional writing guideline is 'don't
       assume'. Most of us tend to forget to start at the beginning and
       include absolutely every step. A good experiment is to try writing
       yourself instructions for a task. Then, follow your instructions
       exactly as they are written.
       "My policy is to write email in the same manner I would write a
       recipe or instruction manual. I try to be clear, concise and
       present my thoughts step by step. The language I use is simple. I
       avoid technical terms and email abbreviations and sniglets, unless
       I've worked with the person enough to know they will understand my