VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:35:07 -0600
Mellon is currently being sued on ATM inaccessibility by the Disability
Law Project of Pennsylvania.  The pilot by the bank is independent from
those involved in the lawsuit.  A similar lawsuit by the Disability Law
Project against PNC Bankcorp was tentatively settled with reader
assistance through cellular telephones as the atm access solution.

kelly
   February 21, 2001

Mellon Piloting Voice-Guided ATMs at 11 Locations

   PITTSBURGH, Feb. 21 /PRNewswire/ -- Mellon Bank today announced that
   it has equipped the automated teller machines (ATMs) at 11 Mellon
   locations in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Harrisburg with
   voice-guided technology to assist visually impaired customers.

   This pilot program establishes Mellon as the first major financial
   services provider to offer voice-guided technology in Mellon's retail
   market area. The voice-guided feature is designed to allow visually
   impaired customers to insert a conventional set of audio headphones,
   similar to those used with portable radios and music players, into the
   ATM. The customer then hears through the earphones private voice
   instructions on how to conduct basic ATM transactions.

   The ATMs at the following Mellon locations have been equipped with
   voice- guided technology:
  Pittsburgh (4 locations):
   --  Oliver Avenue - downtown, opposite Mellon Square
   --  Penn Hills - 6125 Saltsburg Road
   --  Ross Park Mall
   --  University - Fifth Avenue & Craig Street, Oakland
  Harrisburg (1 location):
   --  Main - 10 S. Market Street
  Philadelphia (6 locations):
   --  Bala Cynwyd - 15 City Line Avenue
   --  Haddington Mall - 57th and Vine Streets
   --  Second & Chestnut - 123 Chestnut Street
   --  Stenton - 6324 Stenton Avenue
   --  University City - 36th and Walnut Streets
   --  Eighth and Walnut - 830 Walnut Street

   "This technology was designed to allow visually impaired customers who
   use these ATMs to hear a helpful voice. We hope they also hear the
   sound of a financial services provider attempting to meet their
   special needs," said Paul S. Beideman, executive vice president and
   head of Mellon Retail Financial Services. "Piloting this first series
   of talking ATMs in our retail market area reflects our commitment to
   providing our retail customers with a level of service commensurate
   with Mellon's corporate objective of becoming the best performing
   financial services company."

   "By making it easier to interact with an ATM, voice-guided technology
   provides an important assist to visually impaired people living
   independently in our community" said Dr. Richard L. Welsh, president
   of Pittsburgh Vision Services. "We congratulate Mellon on being the
   first financial institution in Pennsylvania to provide this service,
   and we look forward to working with Mellon on ways to make the service
   as responsive as possible to the needs of visually impaired
   customers."

   Mellon Financial Corporation (NYSE: MEL) is a global financial
   services company. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, Mellon is one of the
   world's leading providers of asset management, trust, custody and
   benefits consulting services and offers a comprehensive array of
   banking services for individuals and corporations. Mellon has $2.8
   trillion in assets under management, administration or custody,
   including $530 billion under management. Its asset management
   companies include The Dreyfus Corporation and Newton Investment
   Management Limited (U.K.).

   Press releases and other information about Mellon and its products and
   services are available at www.mellon.com on the Internet. For Mellon
   press releases by fax, call 1-800-758-5804, identification number
   552187.

   /CONTACT: Ron Sommer of Mellon Financial, 412-236-0082, or
08:07 EST