VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"ddunfee.." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ddunfee..
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:34:40 -0500
In a ny times article today a top microsoft executive talked of their
goals,  Among them are these:

"   Microsoft and other companies have to come to grips with the fact that
   much of the software business will evolve into a subscription service,
   whereby people essentially rent applications rather than buy
them.   Providing those services, however, involves gathering and storing
   personal information about consumers. Privacy and consumer advocates
   fear that Microsoft could exploit its hold on that information, and
   that people ultimately may lose control of information about their
   finances, health and spending habits. Ballmer dismissed such concerns,"

He goes on to say, "trust us", sure we will, you know best, please take
control of our computer usage, after all , it is for our own good.

"Nothing needs so reforming as other people's habits." -- Mark Twain