VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ilene Sirocca <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ilene Sirocca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 12:56:47 -0700
Hi,

    Certainly if a document can be printed out it can be retyped or
scanned--processes which become less attractive as the document grows
larger.  but some documents are not allowed to be printed out.

As for extracting text:  We already know that in the previous version of
acrobat Reader we could read many files with the plug-in, but often even
then we could not save them as text files or send them to be converted by
e-mail because of security settings.  the settings in acrobat Five simply
make things even more difficult, but this is because the decision is now
more firmly than ever in the hands of the authors.  we must educate and
persuade them to let us read the documents with our screen readers.  If we
want to retype them, we could certainly do so by listening to what we hear
or reading it in braille and typing it little by little.  I will leave any
moralizing out of it, as we have to each follow our own inner voices.  But
if we want to read the documents at all, we have to give the authors reason
to think that we are going to play fair.  Once a file has become a plain
text file, it can be sent to anyone from anywhere.  This also can happen
with pdf files, but some of them are only readable on the computer for which
they were originally bought.  This complicated matter, which pits consumers'
rights against authors' rights, is going to take a lot of work to settle.
Meanwhile, it does lead to the question of whether all improvements are
always what they're cracked up to be.  Have you noticed, for instance, that
in the new acrobat reader there doesn't seem to be a way to hold one's place
when closing a file?  I always liked that ability in Reader four with the
plug-in.  Believe me, I am keeping that older version as long as it will
work with any files.

Ilene