VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan TeVelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2022 12:49:15 -0600
Hi Donald,

I don't think there is a simple answer. I need a new computer and have
thought of the mac but will probably end up buying a new Windows computer
since most of my work involves accessibility testing in the Windows
environment. Your friend should think about the following issues. I'm not
expressing an opinion but just reporting the ideas I hear from other blind
people.

What do they want to use the computer for? There is a wide variety of
opinions about word processing and other application options on the mac.
Some people maintain that the Apple equivalents of Microsoft Office
applications are not as accessible or feature rich as their Microsoft
equivalents. How comfortable is your friend at learning new technology? Some
users of Windows screenreaders report there is a steep learning curve to
adjust to the Apple environment while others find that once they make the
transition, they prefer VoiceOver. If your friend has challenges using JAWS
and other related assistive technology, then I don't think switching to the
mac would be a good idea. They would end up getting really frustrated. If
they are using a Windows computer, they need to think about what the mac
could do for them which they can't do in Windows. The fact that VoiceOver is
free is offset by the greater expense of Apple computers. The options for
getting training on using Apple devices and VoiceOver keep increasing.
Several companies offer free and paid classes and there are organizations
which provide peer support. Keep in mind that if the person needs hands-on
training other than a virtual option their local blindness agency may not
have training for the Apple environment. I have heard that some Apple stores
provide VoiceOver training but have not experienced this for myself.

There is a heated debate in the blindness community about support for
Braille displays. Lately people have been complaining loudly and bitterly
about what they perceive as the poor Braille support in the Apple
environment. I have no first-hand experience using a mac with a Braille
display. I use an iPhone with several Braille displays and have found some
issues. Mileage may vary about how well a particular Braille display will
work with a particular Apple device. Again, I have no opinion. Will your
friend need peripheral devices? I have heard that some macs have fewer USB
ports than their Windows counterparts. Another thing to consider is that
Apple periodically updates the operating system. VoiceOver can't be updated
by itself like JAWS can. If there are software bugs than the entire
operating system update may cause accessibility 1ssues.

I know several people who are lucky enough to have both Windows and Apple
computers. Not everyone has that luxury. These people say they use each
computer depending on what tasks they want to do. There are other people who
primarily use the mac because that is what they learned first. They may use
Windows computers in a job situation but prefer the mac. I'm sorry my answer
was so complicated but there is so much debate about the merits of Windows
versus iOS that I can't offer a firm opinion. You and your friend will need
to do a lot of research using online forums, listening to podcasts, and
contacting training companies. Talk to your friends and post questions on
mailing lists. If possible, get your hands on as many devices as you can. I
hope this helps.

Dan