VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 21:19:07 -0500
Baton Rouge, Louisiana is the battleground for the latest controversy
among the blind.  Blind advocates are up in arms over a YMCA's decision
to install an audible system that will signal to a blind swimmer when she
is reaching the end of the pool.  Oral Miller of the United States
Association of the blind is a leader of the American council of the Blind.
The article below is from the Baton Rouge newspaper, the Advocate.

kelly

> [...]
person,
>to swim and what obstacles there were. I'm an inventor and an entrepreneur
>and I thought about an orientation device -- a receiver/transmitter system
>that would let the swimmer know his or her relative position in the lane, as
>well as distance from the edge."
>
>Ford, who is also a registered nurse, researched through the Internet and
>found that existing technology is currently being used in submarines and
>robots and that it would be possible to apply that technology to her idea.
>So, she stepped up her efforts.
>
>"I wanted parents of blind children to be able to drop their kids off at the
>front door of the Y and, from there, they could be guided in by talking
>signs, dress out in the locker room, and follow a textured mat -- like
>Braille to the feet -- out to the pool. Using a retractable padded ladder
and
>padded ropes, they would then put on the device that would allow them to
swim
>laps by themselves. Of course, there would be a lifeguard on duty.
>
>"What a wonderful thing that would be. What a boost to that kid's self
>confidence and sense of independence -- things I just take for granted
when I
>drop my kids at the Y," Ford said.
>
>Currently, visually impaired walkers, runners and swimmers are dependent on
>sighted persons to act as their guides. Blind runners generally run tethered
>to a sighted person to cue them to direction; swimmers depend on sighted
>persons to cue them by touching them with a long stick when they approach
the
>end of a lap lane.
>
>Dependence on sighted individuals to participate in athletics limits access
>and frequency and, by definition, prohibits independent activity, she said.
>
>Ford has received lots of encouragement along the way in speaking with local
>blind children and their parents. "They are so excited," she said.
>
>The A.C. Lewis YMCA has agreed to be the "Beta site" for installation of the
>first system, which is now in development and will hopefully be ready
>sometime this summer, she said.
>
>Ford is calling her invention the Pool and Track Eye Systems and has
formed a
>non-profit corporation called Independent Athletics International Inc. to
>develop and market the device.
>
>The other application of the technology will be for blind athletes to run
>track, she said.
>
>Specifically, the system uses an infra-red technology to orient individuals
>on a track or pool lane. Audio or tactile cues are delivered to athletes to
>let them know where they are; the system can be used by blind/deaf athletes
>as well.
>
>"Having served the YMCA for 25 years, I have had many occasions to recognize
>our shortcomings when serving populations with disabilities," director
Thomas
>B. Parker wrote in a letter supporting Ford's invention and reiterating the
>Y's desire to be a Beta site.
>
>"Although we have been aggressive in complying with the American
Disabilities