VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 09:20:04 -0600
The New York Times Magazine

November 5, 2000

     The Two-Bucks-a-Minute Democracy

     By handing out millions of dollars' worth of Web TV's, two
     political scientists at Stanford have gathered the most perfect
     sample of Americans in the history of polling and persuaded them to
     answer survey after survey, week after week, year after year. It's
     a marketer's dream. And it just might change how we think about
     democracy. By MICHAEL LEWIS

      Earlier this year, a truly weird and possibly inspired company
     founded by a pair of Stanford political scientists, Norman Nie and
     Doug Rivers, finished spending tens of millions of dollars to
     install Web television sets in 40,000 American homes. The company,
     called Knowledge Networks, was trying to address the single
     greatest problem in polling -- getting a random sample of Americans
     to answer questions -- by paying a random sample of Americans for
     their time. In the summer of 1999, Rivers sent out 40,000 letters,
     most of them containing $10 bills. The money was the teaser for the
     big offer: spend 10 minutes each week answering his questions over
     the Internet, and Rivers would give you a free Web TV, free
     Internet access and a raft of prizes doled out in various contests
     and raffles. If you were uneasy with new gadgets, Rivers promised
     to give you not only the TV and the Internet access but also to
     send an engineer to install the stuff. An astonishing 56 percent of
     the people they set out to contact took the offer -- compared with
     the roughly 15 percent now willing to answer questions from a
     stranger over the telephone.

     One of those people was Marion Frost. When she received the letter
     from Rivers, she had just turned 80, which meant she was gold to
     any pollster looking to build a random sample of Americans. Along
     with Americans who earn more than $150,000 a year, Americans who
     have less than an eighth-grade education and Americans who don't
     speak English, Americans over 75 tend to elude pollsters. Frost has
     lived in the same quaint cottage for 46 years, nestled in a
     middle-class Silicon Valley neighborhood doing its best to avoid
     being overrun by property developers. The only hint of frailty
     about her was the cast on her left wrist, which she had broken,
     absurdly, on her way back from the D.M.V., where she had gone to
     obtain a handicapped parking sticker. The only sign that she found
     it odd for a complete stranger to show up at her house to watch her
     watch television was that she had invited a friend over to join us.
     The three of us -- me, Frost and her friend, Yvette Reyes --
     settled down to a spread of pizza, cookies and coffee in a living
     room that doubled as a shrine to bygone values. The furniture would
     be familiar to anyone who had grandparents in the 1960's; the
     television was one of those giant oak cabinets with chrome dials
     that they stopped making back in the 1970's. "My husband died 18
     years ago," Frost said, "and we bought the TV at least 15 years
     before that." The single anomaly in the place was the black Web TV
     box on top of the television cabinet. With its infrared ports,
     flashing lights and miniature keyboard, the thing was as
     incongruous as a Martian.

     It was the night of the second Bush-Gore debate, and CBS was using
     Knowledge Networks -- and by extension Marion Frost -- to conduct
     two kinds of polls. One, which Dan Rather was calling "a snap
     poll," would measure who won the debate. The other, which Dan
     Rather would never mention, since CBS was still testing it, would
     seek to understand why he won. Twenty minutes before the debate,
     the red light on top of Frost's black box began to flash, its way
     of saying that it was waiting for her to switch on her TV and
     answer a few questions from Knowledge Networks.

     Among the many things I was curious to know was why Rivers had been
     so successful at luring Americans into being the rats in his
     massive laboratory experiment. I assumed that in all cases he had
     appealed to the rats' insatiable lust for money and freebies. I was
     wrong.

   Michael Lewis is a contributing writer for the magazine. He is the
   author, most recently, of "The New New Thing."

     "How did these people talk you into taking their surveys?" I asked
     Frost.

     "They just called me out of the blue," she said. She sat toward the
     edge of her chair, her arm in a dark blue sling. All around her
     were photographs of children. She had reared three of her own,
     adopted another and taken in seven foster children.

     "But you got their letter with the $10 in it?"

     "They never sent me a letter with $10 in it," she said. "I got a
     letter from Doug Rivers but no $10." Yvette chuckled softly on the
     sofa beside me. "You come cheap, Marion," she said.

     I motioned to her $249 Web TV. The box enabled Knowledge Networks
     to send polls and surveys to her over the Internet, which then
     could be displayed on her TV screen. Once each week, the red light
     flashed to tell Frost that questions awaited her answers whenever
     she had 10 minutes to spare. Tonight's poll was an exception in
     that it required Frost's presence at an appointed time. "So," I
     said, "what do you use that for?"

     A hint of discomfort flashed across her impossibly sweet face. "The
     truth is, I haven't figured out how to use it."

     "Then how do you take the surveys?"

     "Oh," she said, "I do all the surveys. When the light comes on, I
     call Robert, and he comes over and turns it on and feeds in the
     information." Robert is Frost's 45-year-old son.

     "When I get the cast off, I think I'll learn how to use it," Frost
     added, trying and failing to raise her broken arm.

     "But you still answer the surveys?" I said.

     "Oh, yes," she said, brightening. "Mostly all the questions are
     about products. Juice. One I remember was the different kinds of
     juice. They wanted to know what was my opinion of cranberry juice.
     Would I mix it in with other juices. I don't know. I figure they
     want to dilute the cranberry juice with other juices. I told them
     my opinion."

     No $10 bill, no interest in the Web TV or the free Internet access
     or the raffles and contests. No sense whatsoever that she was being
     paid to answer questions.

     "I don't understand," I said. "Why did you agree to be in this
     survey?"

     She was at a loss for an answer, which was O.K., since Yvette
     wasn't. "Because," she said, with a tone that put an end to further
     questions, "she's a good person."

     On that note, we settled back and waited for Knowledge Networks to
     begin measuring Marion Frost's opinions.

     E ver since the Internet went boom, people have been trying to
     figure out how to use it to open a window on the American mind. One
     curious subplot of this year's presidential campaign has been huge,
     inexplicable swings in the polls. There are a number of possible
     reasons for these -- inept pollsters, fickle voters -- but the most
     persuasive is the growing reluctance of Americans to take calls
     from pollsters. In the past decade, the response rate to telephone
     polls has fallen from as high as 40 percent to 15 percent. If the
     15 percent of our population still willing to be polite to people
     who interrupt their dinners were representative, this trend would
     not be a problem for pollsters. But they aren't, so it is.

     Onto this scene, the Internet seems to have arrived just in time.
     It gives new hope to people who believe that human behavior can be
     studied and explained scientifically. Internet polling enjoys
     several obvious advantages over old-fashioned survey techniques:
     it's potentially more scientific than chasing down people in
     shopping malls, it's less blatantly intrusive than phoning people
     at dinner and it carries video to those polled so that ads, movie
     trailers and product designs can be tested directly. But maybe as
     important as all these combined is the ease with which an Internet
     pollster can create a new kind of dialogue with the people he
     polls. In what Doug Rivers calls "a virtual conversation," the
     pollster with easy, steady access to a cross-section of the
     population can unspool a detailed story about the population's
     tastes and habits.

   Anyone with anything to mass-market longs for more detailed portraits
   of the consumer. A network of tens of thousands of Web TV's represents
   not just a statistical improvement. It creates a new genre of
   portraiture.

     But the Internet has one huge disadvantage for pollsters: not quite
     half the U. S. population uses it. In the summer of 1998, Rivers
     and his Stanford colleague, Nie, both of whom had made
     distinguished careers studying polling techniques, discovered that
     they shared an outrage at the sham polls of the "general
     population" conducted on the Internet. They got to talking about
     ways that the Internet might be used to poll properly, short of
     waiting the years it would take for the technology to trickle down.
     They decided to go out and identify a random sample of Americans
     and persuade them to go online, for free.

     Of course, it costs a fortune to dole out tens of thousands of Web
     TV's. So Rivers, who wound up running the business, was forced to
     neglect his original interest in political polling and acquire an
     interest in market research. Corporate America spends $5 billion a
     year for market surveys. Companies pay roughly $2 for every minute
     that randomly selected Americans spend answering questions of
     people who pester them at dinner time. The reason you are worth
     $120 an hour while you scratch yourself and talk on the phone to a
     pollster is that pretty much anyone with anything to mass-market --
     packaged goods, media come-ons, financial products -- longs for
     detailed portraits of the consumer. A network of tens of thousands
     of Web TV's randomly distributed across the population would
     represent not just a statistical improvement. It would create a new
     genre of portraiture.

     Typically, the relationship between the American Observer and the
     American Observed has been a one-night stand. A pollster calls and
     insists on pawing you a bit, and then you never hear from him
     again. Knowledge Networks was after something more. Its Web TV's
     would follow the same people, easily and cheaply, and measure not
     just their responses to surveys but also their behavior on the
     Internet. And it would be able to divine patterns in that behavior
     that companies could then exploit. As Knowledge Networks expanded,
     it would become possible to poll random samples of tiny populations
     -- people who drank expensive tequila, say, or voted for Pat
     Buchanan. "Try finding a random sample of Jews by phone," Rivers
     says. "Jews are 2 percent of the population. Do you know how many
     randomly generated phone numbers you need to call to find 400
     Jews?"

     Interestingly, all parties to this new and seemingly intrusive
     relationship shared a financial interest in it becoming ever more
     intrusive. There might be people like Marion Frost who don't think
     of their time as money, but they are a rare breed. By enriching the
     information he mined from the brains of his random sample, Rivers
     raised the value of those who spent time answering his questions.
     The more their time was worth, the more goodies they got, and the
     more goodies they got, the more willing they would be to answer
     questions.

     It took Rivers just three days to raise the first $6 million he
     needed from Silicon Valley venture capitalists. The only question
     they had was why Rivers was sending $10 to people before they
     agreed to his deal. "The V.C.'s said things like, 'If you sent that
     to me, I'd just keep the money and not do the surveys,"' Rivers
     says. "I had to tell them that most people weren't like venture
     capitalists." Once Rivers had proved to his backers that his system
     worked in a few hundred homes, he went back and asked for another
     $36 million so he could install many, many more Web TV's. The
     V.C.'s promptly handed that over too.

     By the spring of this year, 100,000 Americans were spending 10
     minutes each week answering Rivers's questions, often e-mailing him
     with extra ideas and comments and news about their lives. ("Mr.
     Rivers," wrote one, "Terrence cannot answer the questions this week
     because he is in jail.") By the end of the summer, the system was
     running at full capacity. So Rivers has gone back once again to the
     venture capitalists for as much as $60 million more to install
     another 60,000 black boxes. By the end of next year, 250,000
     Americans will be engaged in Knowledge Networks' virtual
     conversation -- the fastest, biggest and quite possibly most
     accurate tracking poll ever conducted. Each person will remain in
     the sample for three years, at which point they are considered too
     overexposed to polls to be accurately polled.

     Even by Silicon Valley standards, this is a fairly sensational
     financial story. Among other things, it tells you a great deal
     about what might be called the public opinion of public opinion.
     Between 1876, when the last new polling technology, the telephone,
     was invented, and the 1960's, when the phone was sufficiently
     widespread to allow for random sampling, it occurred to no one to
     go out and install 100,000 telephones in American homes. The
     telephone didn't become a polling device until it had spread on its
     own into every nook and cranny of American life. But the world is
     no longer willing to wait for a more accurate self-portrait.
     Offered even the slightest chance to, as Rivers puts it, "get
     inside people's minds and find out what's there," investors have
     proved willing to pay whatever it cost.

     The ever-evolving relationship between American consumers and
     producers inevitably spills over into American politics, which is
     why a Stanford political scientist has wound up, at least for the
     moment, testing cranberry juice cocktails for a living. A better
     view of the public opinion of juice soon becomes a better view of
     the public opinion of issues and ads and phrases and candidates.
     Once investors had poured in tens of millions of dollars to create
     an elaborate mechanism designed to obtain a "360-degree picture of
     the mind of the American consumer," Rivers knew it wouldn't be long
     before some enterprising political consultant used it to enter the
     mind of the American voter. "But the thing we've found," he says,
     "is that the political people are slower on the uptake than the
     businesspeople. In part, it's because they don't have the same
     money to spend. But it's also that the sort of people who become
     pollsters to presidential campaigns don't like to hear the answers
     to honest polls. They're believers in a cause."

     He is able to say this with detached amusement rather than despair
     because he assumes that the political people will come around --
     and how could they not? Politics is a competitive market. Better
     polls give politicians who follow them an edge. Those who don't
     will wind up being put out of business by those who do.

     P eople who bother to imagine how the Internet might change
     democracy usually assume it will take power away from politicians
     and give it to the people. It's easy to see how the Internet might
     lead inexorably to the same extreme form of democracy that has
     evolved in California, where the big issues often are put directly
     to the people for a vote. Sooner or later, it will be possible to
     vote online. And sooner or later, it will be possible to collect
     signatures online. Together, these changes might well lead to a
     boomlet in direct democracy, at least in states like California
     where citizens can call votes on an issue simply by gathering
     enough signatures on its behalf. At which point someone asks, Why
     can't we do the same thing in Washington? One constitutional
     amendment later and -- poof -- we're all voting directly to decide
     important national questions rather than voting for politicians and
     leaving the decisions up to them.

     This line of futurology has history on its side. Every step taken
     by American democracy has been in an egalitarian direction. The
     direct elections of U.S. senators, the extension of the vote to
     blacks, women and adolescents, the adoption of initiative and
     referendum in the vast majority of states, the rise of public
     opinion polling -- all of this pushes democracy in the same
     direction. It forces politicians to be more informed of, and
     responsive to, majority opinion. It nudges American democracy ever
     so slightly away from its original elitist conception and moves it
     toward something else.

     The Knowledge Networks poll offers a glimpse of what that something
     else might be, a world in which politicians become so well informed
     about public opinion that there is no need for direct democracy.

     It was with something like this in mind that George Gallup began
     his campaign in the 1930's to make political polling scientifically
     respectable. Gallup thought that democracy worked better the
     better-informed politicians were of majority opinion. Rivers does
     not exactly share this view. He created Knowledge Networks because
     he believed that inaccurate polls are a danger to democracy and an
     insult to good social science -- but that is a long way from
     Gallup's original utopian vision. Rivers says he believes that
     Internet polling is inevitable, so that it might as well be done
     honestly. But he also believes that his faster and cheaper
     opinion-gathering machine will provide politicians with a more
     detailed snapshot of public opinion, and thus give rise to an even
     more constipated politics. The more perfectly informed politicians
     are about public opinion, the more they are chained to it. "The
     problem right now isn't that politicians in Washington are out of
     touch," Rivers says. "The problem is that they're too closely in
     touch. And this will make the problem worse." In short, you may
     believe that politicians could not be more automated than they are
     now. Just wait.

     But it isn't just the politicians who are changed by the
     technology. The more perfectly watched that voters are, the less
     they have to pay attention to politics. After all, there's no point
     in anyone but a revolutionary participating in a system of majority
     rule when the will of the majority is always, and automatically,
     known.

     O f course, it takes a while for an entire culture to get used to
     the idea that there is no point in participating in democracy
     unless you are paid to do so. It takes even longer for it to figure
     out that its participation is worth two bucks a minute. For old
     ideas to die, the people who hold them must die first. And Marion
     Frost wasn't quite ready for that. Fifteen minutes before the
     second presidential debate began, her doorbell rang. It was a young
     man from Knowledge Networks, who had driven an hour to switch on
     her Web TV. (Frost's son was traveling, and I couldn't figure it
     out.) The screen, previously given over to Dan Rather's face, went
     blue. Onto it came a message: "Please try to have fun while being
     as serious about this test as possible."

     It went on to ask several long, pro-forma questions, which Frost
     insisted on reading aloud before turning her attention to the alien
     keyboard. Yvette sighed. "This is going to be a long night,
     Marion." This was my cue to take her son's place at the keyboard.
     When we had finished with their questions, the picture came back on
     the screen, with a long measuring rod at the bottom of it. The rod
     had a plus sign on one end and a minus sign on the other. Frost was
     meant to signal what she thought of whatever Bush and Gore said, as
     they said it, by moving a tiny rectangle back and forth between the
     two. Instead, she told me what she thought, and I moved the
     rectangle for her. Her stream of opinions would flow into a river
     through Knowledge Networks' computers and into CBS studios in New
     York.

     The debate started. I waited for Marion Frost's first command. "I
     like that Jim Lehrer," she said.

     Lehrer had asked Bush a question about foreign policy, and Bush
     talked for as long as he could on the subject, then did his best to
     think up some more words to fill the time. Frost said nothing. The
     little rectangle didn't budge.

     "I don't know about Bush," she finally said, "but I'm glad Jim
     Lehrer's going to be there." Al Gore then went off on his usual
     relentless quest for a gold star, and Frost listened to all of what
     he said intently, but again failed to respond. She seemed to want
     to think about what he said, but the new technology didn't want
     thought. It wanted quick.

     "I don't know," she finally said, as Bush took over. "I'm confused.
     I think they're both right on some areas." She was growing ever so
     slightly distressed at her inability to give the black box what it
     wanted. Finally, Bush said something that caused Frost to say: "I
     like that. Go ahead and make it positive." But it was as much out
     of a concern for the little rectangle than actual deep feeling. In
     any case, her reflex was too slow to hit its mark; by the time I'd
     moved the rectangle, Gore had again butted in. This didn't seem to
     bother Frost. She was too busy trying to make sense out of the
     arguments Bush had made about the I.M.F. "That's the International
     Monetary Fund," she said -- for my benefit, I think.

     Yvette sighed and headed for the kitchen. "I get to take a break,"
     she said. "You two can't move."

     Frost looked at me with concern and asked, "Would you like a
     cookie?" The debate heated up again. Gore began to attack Bush's
     record on health care. Frost became irritated. "I believe he has a
     good heart,' what kind of statement is that?" she said. Hearts were
     something she knew about. The implications for the rectangle were
     unclear.

     "Should I make it negative?"

     "A little," she said.

     On this went for an hour and a half, much like the debate itself,
     defying any possibility of the reflection or deliberation that
     Frost was intent on supplying. The joy of watching her with her Web
     TV was her insistence on layering old and dying habits of mind onto
     the new, supercharged process. Her opinions were being monitored as
     closely as political opinions have ever been monitored, and yet she
     didn't really allow the monitoring to interfere with her idea of
     how to watch a political debate. She avoided making snap judgments
     just as she had somehow avoided getting paid for offering them. She
     watched without much interest Dan Rather announce that Bush had won
     the snap poll -- 52 percent to 48 percent. She just did what she
     did because she entertained some notion of her social obligations
     above and beyond her economic interests. Either that, or she simply
     could not believe that a citizen is meant to be paid for her
     services.

     November 05, 2000