VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:59:37 -0600
   The New York Times
November 13, 2000

      WEST PALM BEACH, Nov. 12 Ron Klein, a Democratic state senator
     here, thought something was amiss minutes after he cast his vote
     and left his polling place in Boca Raton at 7:05 Election Day
     morning. He had done a double take when he saw that the second hole
     in his punch- card ballot did not align with the names of the
     Democratic candidates, Al Gore and Joseph I. Lieberman. He voted
     for the Democrats anyway and drove to another precinct to campaign.

     "There were a group of people walking out, and they were totally
     upset," Mr. Klein said. "They said they didn't know who they voted
     for."

     What started as a nagging worry turned into a raging problem by
     midmorning as hundreds of voters swamped the phones of local
     officials, complaining that they had misread the ballot. But their
     frantic and angry calls elicited little help from electoral
     officials whom they described as overwhelmed by the flood of
     complaints.

     By the day's end, some 19,000 ballots would be invalidated because
     voters had punched them twice and another 3,000 votes would be cast
     by voters who feared that they had mistakenly selected the Reform
     Party candidate, Patrick J. Buchanan, over Mr. Gore. Throughout the
     county, on an Election Day that some local officials said was the
     most chaotic and emotional they had ever seen, many would-be
     Democratic voters lamented what they said was a mistake that could
     deprive Mr. Gore of the margin of victory he needed here.

     A reconstruction of the day's events, obtained through interviews
     with voters, politicians and electoral officials, portrays an
     overworked and understaffed system grappling with widespread
     confusion over a ballot that the county's Democratic elections
     supervisor originally had designed to be easily read.

     The majority of voters from both parties cast their vote without
     problems. But enough of them were flummoxed that the local
     Democratic Party office and state Democratic Party headquarters
     were jammed with angry calls. Voters seeking help from electoral
     officials said they were turned away by poll workers who, in turn,
     were told by their bosses late in the day to remind people they
     could vote only once.

     Early today, after a week in which protesters for Democrats and
     Republicans held boisterous vigils on the streets outside their
     offices, Palm Beach County electoral officials agreed to a hand
     recount of the county's entire 462,657 ballots.

     But the tumult over a vote-counting process that some have joked
     makes this country look like a banana republic has now taken a very
     American twist, as Republicans and Democrats have gone to court.

     The county at the epicenter of the nation's electoral standoff is a
     place known to most Americans as a realm of wealth and fame.

     But across the shimmering ribbon of the Intracoastal Waterway is a
     sprawling mix of communities that make up a Democratic stronghold:
     the impoverished agricultural towns around Belle Glade,
     condominiums filled with retirees, and Haitian refugees who fled a
     homeland where democracy had too often been thwarted at gunpoint.

     On Election Day, many Democrats flocked to the polls, intent on the
     one thing that united them: casting their vote for Mr. Gore.

     "I was excited because I knew that we were going to win Florida for
     Gore," said Donna Lentz, a housewife from West Palm Beach. "We all
     knew we could get it for him."

     Early Tuesday morning

     Irving Slosberg arrived at his polling place in Boca Raton a little
     after 7, his body tired and his ears still ringing from the
     celebrity-packed pep rally he had attended in Miami's South Beach
     Art Deco District the night before for Mr. Gore. Mr. Slosberg was
     less worried about Mr. Gore's chances than about his own, because
     he was running as a first- time Democratic candidate for the State
     Legislature.

     Nervous after having heard at his gym the previous week that his
     write-in opponent was going to snag votes, Mr. Slosberg dashed out
     to the polling places in his district, where long lines had formed
     early. He soon heard grumbling from many voters who were obsessed
     with worry that they had mistakenly voted for the wrong candidate.

     "People were bellyaching about the ballot, that it was confusing,
     but at that point you don't think of anything and it drifts over
     your head," said Mr. Slosberg, who owns a handbag company. "I'm not
     sure if I was not paying attention or if I was concentrating on the
     fact that I was in an election, too. Apart from Al Gore winning, I
     also wanted myself to win."

     Ernest Duval, a naturalized American citizen whose voice is still
     tinged with the tender tones of his native Haiti, said he and his
     wife were excited that morning as they went to vote in West Palm
     Beach. When they got to the polls, he said, he was confused by the
     ballot, wondering whether he was supposed to punch No. 4 or No. 5
     for Mr. Gore. He remembered punching through No. 4, which
     corresponded to Mr. Buchanan.

     He went to a poll worker and asked for a new ballot, but he said
     his request was denied. Instead, he was told to stand in another
     line. He and his wife waited.

     "We stood for 15 minutes and nobody paid attention," he said,
     testifying on Saturday before a panel of civil rights lawyers
     convened in Miami by the National Association for the Advancement
     of Colored People. "I went back and punched Number 5. I lost my
     vote."

     Complaints like these had been coming in to Gore campaign officials
     in Florida since shortly after the polls opened.

     Midmorning

     By now, confusion was evident at many polling stations, voters and
     poll workers said. "Every two seconds we're getting another call,"
     Kathy Dubin, a special assistant to the chairman of the county
     Democratic Party, said Tuesday. "We are getting hundreds of calls.
     When I voted this morning, there were some people who left the
     polls hysterical. In my 20 years of being involved in politics, I
     have never seen anything like this."

     Leah Feinman, a precinct worker at the Indian Springs Development
     in Boynton Beach, said the poll workers were slow at first to
     recognize the scope of the problem.

     "So many voters put their hands over their eyes and said, `Oh, my
     God, I voted for Buchanan. Oh, my God, I voted for Bush. Oh, my
     God, I voted for the wrong person,' " she recalled.

     For the next several hours she tried in vain to reach her
     supervisor at the county elections office. When she finally did get
     through to an operator, the response was not what she expected.

     "I told them there was mass confusion here," Ms. Feinman said. "I
     told them we needed help. She said, `Don't waste my time,' and she
     hung up."

     At 10:30 a.m. in Nashville, Doug Hattaway, a Gore spokesman, was
     briefing the press on five reports of irregularities at the polls
     across the country, including the problems in Palm Beach, where he
     said there were complaints about "confusion on the ballot."

     Noon

     By midday, Andy Berkowitz, a New York-born woman who had come to
     West Palm Beach a few months earlier to care for her dying parents,
     was also trying to call anyone who would listen to her, because she
     suspected she had mistakenly voted for Mr. Buchanan. That prospect
     horrified her, she said, because she felt that Mr. Buchanan was
     against everything she cherished.

     But she was also concerned, she said, because poll workers in her
     district did not ask her for identification, but were asking all
     African- American voters to provide not only their voter
     registration card but also photographic identification.

     "I questioned in my head, `Are these people crazy?' " she said.

     She finally got a telephone call through to the county's Democratic
     Party office, where she said the line was constantly busy.

     "They finally picked up," she said, "and hung right up."

     Early Afternoon

     Electoral and Democratic Party officials knew by early afternoon
     that something had gone wrong, but they were unprepared to handle
     the onslaught of angry voters. Precinct workers, faced with an
     unusually high, and in some places record, voter turnout, said they
     were under instructions to turn away anyone asking for assistance
     because it would slow down the voting. The county had 38 voter-help
     hot lines, but had only 34 operators to field calls.

     "Sometimes the calls would bounce into oblivion," said Patrick
     Miller, the deputy county administrator, who said the problem was
     fixed during the day. Other county officials had heard that voters
     who made mistakes and asked for a second ballot were being denied
     them. Under Florida law they are entitled to even a third one if
     they mess up the first two.

     The ballot had been designed by Theresa LePore, the county's
     supervisor of elections and a Democrat who started working in the
     elections office when she was 16 years old.

     Ms. LePore, who has not spoken much with reporters since Election
     Day, had said soon after the problems surfaced that she had
     designed the two-page "butterfly" ballot to be easier to read. Palm
     Beach was the only one of Florida's 67 counties to use such a
     ballot.

     Sample ballots were supposed to have been mailed out in advance and
     published in local newspapers. John Robert, a resident of the
     predominantly African-American community of Riviera Beach, said he
     never received one. "And I'm not the only one who never received a
     sample ballot," he said, adding that although he voted for Mr.
     Gore, his wife may have voted for Mr. Buchanan. "The ballot was
     confusing to me, and I'm an educator."

     Voters who had studied the sample ballot in the days before the
     election said it didn't help much anyway. Frank Friedland, a
     retired shirt manufacturer from New Jersey, said the sample ballot
     didn't show the punch holes, and that was the confusing part. Mr.
     Friedland, who lives in the Fountains development near Lake Worth,
     said he intended to vote for Gore but mistakenly punched his ballot
     for Buchanan.

     "I walked out of that booth cussing," Mr. Friedland said. "I didn't
     feel stupid, but I felt like crying."

     Midafternoon

     By this time, poll watchers, politicians and party activists were
     visiting polling places to stem the damage they felt was resulting
     from the ballot layout.

     Mr. Klein, the state senator, spoke with officials in the Gore
     campaign, then went to Ms. LePore's office around 3 in the
     afternoon.

     "Who designed this ballot?" he asked her.

     "It was me," he said she replied.

     "I gave Theresa a look that said, `What on earth were you
     thinking?' " Mr. Klein said.

     He said he then persuaded Ms. LePore to hastily print up a flier to
     advise poll workers about the ballot. He took 500 fliers and drove
     south, but was soon caught in rush-hour traffic and reached only 15
     precincts.

     Some local Democrats, like Donna Lentz, a housewife from West Palm
     Beach, had reacted on their own by then, rushing home to draw up
     signs reading "If You Want Gore Punch Number Five."

     "I tried to save as many people as possible," Ms. Lentz said. "I
     left all these messages on people's phone machines. I was there
     warning until the polls closed. We knew about this early on
     Election Day."

     Late Afternoon

     Mr. Slosberg, the state legislative candidate, had seen a slew of
     these signs when he arrived at Century Village, a retirement
     community.

     "Now, I'm greeted by Pauline Alterman she was working for me at the
     polls and Irma Fleischman, and they're practically crying. They
     said, `Irv, do you know what's going on here?' " Mr. Slosberg said.
     "They start telling me voters are practically coming out of the
     polling place crying because of the fact there was so much
     confusion over this ballot. They're not sure if they first punched
     Buchanan and then Gore. You know that none of our people would vote
     for Buchanan. It was a big confused mess."

     Caught up in the confusion were people like Israel Grosfield, who
     lives at Century Village.

     "I saw Al Gore's name, and I punched his name," he said. "I saw Joe
     Lieberman's name with a box next to it, and I punched his name.
     There were two holes next to the Democratic box. I know a lot of my
     friends did that."

     Early Evening

     By about 5 p.m., the Democratic National Committee had received
     enough similar complaints from Palm Beach County that officials had
     Telequest, a Texas-based telemarketing firm that was urging voters
     to go out and vote, switch its script. In the final hour before the
     polls closed at 7, calls were made to approximately 5,000 voters.

     "If you have already voted and think you may have punched the wrong
     hole for the incorrect candidate, you should return to the polls
     and request that the election officials write down your name so
     that this problem can be fixed," the script said.

     "Do NOT punch any other number as you might end up voting for
     someone else by mistake," it said.

     The callers reached about 100 people who had not voted. But the
     callers logged the names of 2,400 people who told them they might
     have mistakenly voted for Mr. Buchanan.

     Late Evening Although the nation would not learn of the confusion
     here until much later, local voters and politicians went home to
     uneasily watch the returns. The elation they said they felt when
     the television networks declared Mr. Gore the winner soon turned
     into despair when the reports were corrected and the race was still
     undecided.

     Ms. Berkowitz, the lifelong liberal who said she mistakenly voted
     for Mr. Buchanan "I wanted to shoot myself," she said ruefully
     stayed up all night.

     "I was so frustrated, I was screaming my head off and did not turn
     off the television," she said. "They gave the vote to Gore in
     Florida, then they took it back. I lost it."

     Ms. Lentz, who had taken to the streets with a sign to remind
     voters to punch 5 for Mr. Gore, was similarly dismayed "O.K., it's
     just too close to call, even though we made mistakes, we'll still
     get it for Gore," Ms. Lentz said. "But later when they announced
     that Bush would be the next president and that he had won by just a
     few votes in Florida, I knew what had happened. I knew where those
     votes went. They went straight to the garbage because that's where
     they might as well be."

     Early Wednesday Morning

     A similar feeling swept over Mr. Klein, the state senator, who
     started the day with a twinge of doubt. At 4:30 a.m. he was
     awakened by a call from a Gore campaign official who told him the
     ballots in Palm Beach County could very well determine the next
     president.

     "That's when it hit me, the consequences of all this," he said. "It
     was a totally surreal experience, and we were right in the middle
     of it."