VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 13:35:23 -0600
Can You Learn To Code In One Day? We Sent A Non-Nerd To Find Out
  BY Louise Jack
  A U.K.-based program called Decoded promises to teach n00's to
code in a day.  Writer Louise Jack (and many ad industry types)
signed on to find out if they can walk in with a civilian's basic
web knowledge and walk out with an app.
  If so many people's jobs are touched by the Internet and
digital technology, then how come so few of us have even a basic
understanding of how things work? This is the fundamental
question behind a new course in the U.K.  called Decoded which
promises to teach people how to code in one day.
  There are plenty of courses and a seemingly endless series of
conferences, workshops and events that discuss "being more
digital" and "integration" and which encourage a change of
mindset.  But really, if you are in the creative or
communications industries on any level and you haven't already
addressed this, then what have you been doing for the last 5-10
years? Decoded's aim is to go beyond changing mindsets and
actually teach non-developers how to code.
  Decoded was founded this year by a team of four that includes
the influential London-based ad creative Steve Henry, Kathryn
Parsons and Richard Peters, both former planners at Ogilvy Group
and the founders of The Scarlett Mark, a hard-to-pigeonhole
agency that has focused on content creation, product development
and innovation and Alisdair Blackwell, an award winning
web-designer and developer, who is also a passionate educator.
  "The internet is beyond doubt the prime medium for
communications and commerce.  Unlike TV, it's a two-way tool,"
says Henry.  "And yet how many people know how it works? Probably
less than 3%.was
  I went along to a Decoded training day intrigued by the claim
that by the end of eight hours I would be able to build a
multi-platform location-based app in HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.
It's not that I thought they were lying, I just couldn't see how
that would happen.  It did.
  My only previous experience with coding was a module of my
journalism degree that required me to build a simple publishing
website in HTML.  This was seven years ago and in the intervening
period the tools that help users to access and utilize code have
been transformed.  In other words, if I can do it, anyone can.
  The day is broken into two main parts.  First, participants are
taken through a condensed history of the internet, explaining
significant events and developments.  Although I was really
familiar with the names: Google, Yahoo, Internet Explorer, HTML
etc and thought I understood what they were and are, I hadn't
really grasped how they all connected or how a development in one
area--for example, browsers--leads to changes in other areas.  It
was like having the lights switched on.
  We were then taken through the three kinds of code that we
would be working with; HTML5, CSS and JavaScript and got a better
understanding of the purpose of each.  However, we are not
talking about dumbing down coding; there is no pretence that it
is either easy or simple.  The complexities are acknowledged but
that does not mean a useful understanding cannot be achieved.
  Nobody is expected to leave being able to look at pages of
compressed code and to nod knowingly.  But what became clear is
you don't have to.  There are a range of helpful tools (we used
Coda on the day but many options exist) where the process is
simplified.  Moreover, the world of developers, which many of us
think of as being a closed one, is actually completely the
opposite.  Since the dawn of internet time a culture of
open-source and shared knowledge has been the norm for them.  (In
other words, if there have been problems communicating with
technologists -- it's not them, it's us).
  There is nothing stopping a semi-skilled person tapping into
that community and asking for help.  Plus, there are huge
libraries of pieces of code for almost any function you can
imagine.  All free, all put there by the developers' community
for the greater good.  All you have to do is be able to use
Google to locate what you want.
  We had a brainstorming session where we nailed exactly what
functionality the app we were going to build should have.  The
idea was that the app would deliver a new message to someone's
mobile device when they came with a certain distance of a
particular location.  The planning session was enlightening
because what became obvious is that it's easy to describe how you
want a user experience to feel -- friendly, welcoming and so on
-- but what you specifically want an application to do is
separate to that.  If you need to brief or collaborate with
developers, briefing on the former is of little help when they
really need to know about the latter.
  Part two: We snapped open the Macs and got into it.  Yes, we
all made mistakes.  But no one was left behind and there is
something great about getting in and making something.  At the
end, with all bugs finally sorted, when I refreshed the browser
and the thing almost unbelievably, actually worked, I clapped my
hands and beamed like a five-year old that had just completed a
complex Lego construction.  It is fun.
  So to whom would this really be of use and why? Founder Richard
Peters says: "We don't tell people what their outputs should be.
What people take away from it will be different; they are all
intelligent they all have different roles.  You see during the
day, it elevates quite high thinking from different people about
different things.  One person might say, `What can I do with all
this data`, whereas others are thinking about how can they can
build an app and someone else might thinking, `I'm getting ripped
off".  What people take out of it depends on what they bring into
it."
  Mel Exon, founder of BBH Labs the innovation unit of agency
BBH, also attended Decoded and is sending ten people from her
team.  She says: "Everyone in business today needs to get a grip
on this.  We are sending strategists, creatives and some team
management people.  When we have a better-than-skin-deep
understanding of technology, two things happen: we have better
ideas and we also treat our internal and external partners in a
considerably more effective manner."
  Exon adds: "I think it's wrong when people use expressions like
`the language the developer can understand` and make them sound
like an alien nation.  It's not an alien nation; they are human
beings who have just got a particular skill set.  It's about
speeding up and improving our relationships with the people who
are actually writing code."
  The benefits to this are immediately apparent because if the
developer has the right information then he or she is then freed
to have more time to think about different ways of addressing the
functional needs that are being sought.
  Exon says: "One other thing is creativity happens through the
act of coding.  When you're actually in there writing code, you
have a hundred ideas, you suddenly see something in eight
dimensions instead of two but it was only in the act -- beyond
the planning stage--that this happened."
  Copyright B) 2011 Mansueto Ventures LLC.  All rights reserved.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]