VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:45:41 -0600
On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, LIBP wrote:

> Excuse me but what is CHi? and why would I have any interest in the
> minutes to something from way back in November, when I don't know what it
> is, who all those names were or how it relates to my life and needs?

When people initially sign on to the list, they are given a list of
abbreviations that are used in the subject lines of messages.  These are
not only for the kind of content, such as tech for technology related
posts or edu for educational or informational posts but abbreviations for
the posing of materials of interest of members of a particular vicug.  For
example, chi is for Chicago, pa is for Pittsburgh.

these abbreviations are intended to help people sort out information that
may be of interest to them and their locale.  Additionally, leaders of
the other vicugs find that the minutes of other groups are useful in
developing ideas for programs, fundraising, and outreach in their local
groups, so in the end many benefit from the information exchange that the
Internet allows.  if you or others wish to review a copy of the
abbreviations list again, please let me, gregory or Mark know and we can
send a copy or point you to an url.

kelly