VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:13:01 -0800
Hi All,

The Los Angeles Times has made archive search and retrieval, normally a
fee-based service for article retrieval, free until January 9, 2000.  To
take advantage of this opportunity visit:

http://www.latimes.com/archives/

Online archives date back to 1990.

To use the search, enter your search terms in the first edit box you
find.  Immediately following this you'll find a search button.  Either
start your search with that button or move onto several list boxes to limit
by year, section of the paper or limit the number of articles shown.

Your search results page will list the beginning of each article with a
link indicating that you should "click here to display free article.  If
you are not a registered user of the LA Times web site, use the Register
button to create a free account when prompted for such when asking to bring
up the text of an article.  If your web browser doesn't support cookies or
you have them disabled, you'll have to login to the Times site each time
you want to retrieve an article.

The archive search and result pages have links to other sections of the LA
Times web site so be prepared to sort through a bit of clutter or use
whatever method your web browser supports to skip things like navigation links.

Kelly

***
It has come to my attention that material I post is being redistributed to
fee-based subscription email lists.  I must respectfully request that this
posting not be forwarded to any venue where the recipient is charged above
and beyond normal access fees to get online.  Specifically if you are
forwarding this message to an email list to which subscribers must pay you
to belong, please do not forward this message.  If I wanted people to pay
to receive the material I post I'd start such a list myself.  I believe in
the free sharing of information and strongly resent the content I create
being sold by someone else without my permission.