VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:01:19 -0600
Beryl from Saskatoon writes with an end user report of her experiences of
using and advocating for audible traffic signals.  she extends the
discussion on pedestrian travel to a civil rights perspective, raising the
idea that audible traffic signals represent an effective means of
communicating colored lights and flashing signs to blind travelers.
Information access activists in America might consider the effective
communication guidelines of Section 35.160 of title II of the Americans
with Disabilities Act.

kelly

From: Beryl Williams <[log in to unmask]>
To: Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>

 Hello kelly
 Thanks for posting the document that deals with Audible detection
devices and safe, independent travel for blind and visually impaired
pedestrians.  When I first drew attention to the audible pedestrian
signals I had used in the U.K., in the 70's, the average response from
blind persons was invariably negative.  the official position of cNIB
staff at our local district and provincial offices was that such devices
made blind people lazy.  The response from a municipal official heading a
Pedestrian Safety project in saskatoon, was even better, " In winter,
motorists drive with the car windows closed and therefore would be unable
to hear the audible signal".  I realized immediately that I was in for an
uphill battle.  I noticed, with a certain amount of pleasure, that the
reasons outlined for the implementation of APS, in the document you
posted, were almost identical to those I had outlined in a discussion
paper I had presented to the CNIb, during my brief appointment to their
governing body.  My contention has always been and I have seen no good
reason to waver from this, is that if visual pedestrian signals are deemed
to be a necessary safety feature at controlled intersections, then
providing the information in an alternate format constitutes an issue of
equal access to information, to ensure the safety of all, pedestrians and
motorists alike.  Therefore, I believe that blind pedestrians should
expect APS to be a accepted component of all controlled intersections.  I
am not in favour of the necessity to carry any special gadget to provide
the blind pedestrian with this information, though I am sure that such
devices will soon be available as a environmental location and mobility
device.  The APS that have been developed and used in saskatoon for the
past 10 years, have a voice component as well as a tone indicator.  The
voice message was chosen to counteract the concern that pedestrians may be
given a false sense of security if it indicated that it was safe to cross.
instead, it simply states, when the visual signal comes on that" The cross
light to cross [name of street to be crossed] is now on".  The name of the
system is Talklight and the company manufacturing it is Foresight
technology and is based in saskatoon.  It is marketed in the U.S. by a
california company named Econolite.  This system has proved itself to be
affordable, reliable and accepted by the community. All interested
organizations with a vested interest in seeing such a system implemented
were involved throughout its development and during its trials.  There are
presently 11 intersections equipped with the system and more to be
installed.  The only problem presented by the voice message, is the
eternal one of canada being an officially bi-lingual country.  However,
this is not an insurmountable problem and could easily be resolved to the
satisfaction of both languages.  The other feature of the system is the a
male and female voice is used to distinguish between N/s and E/W
crossings., in conjunction with a different tone signal.  Hope I have not
bored you to death.  I get very hot under the collar with the indifference
and apathy of officialdom to the safety of blind members of the
community.  as it was explained in the document, the APS are of benefit to
all pedestrians but certainly essential for those unable to use visual
information.  A city in northern British columbia, Prince george, has the
Talklight at all intersections for that very reason.  Enjoy your
interesting posts and continue to direct the Advocacy ones to Viewpoints.
regards, beryl.