VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2012 18:59:16 -0700
Ana and all:
I just went back to Google's main page with JAWS 13 with the latest updates, and under the sign-in link, JAWS 13 only read a flash button that when pressed starts a song playing (a Valentine's day special from Google). I then turned on the "Show In-line Frames" feature of JAWS (I mostly keep it off); no dice. I then used the F11 key to show the full screen; again, no search options. I then typed in an actual search and pressed the Enter key, but no search options appeared at the top of the page. Finally, out of desperation, I went to Internet Explorer's View menu, then into the submenu of "Styles" and checked "No Style". That was the charm--I was able to find the search options then so perhaps I should make the "No Style" my default option and change it each time a sighted person wants to use my computer. Oh well--at least I know how to find the search options now when a Flash button appears to be covering them.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Ana G <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Lisa,

I'm using www.Google.com and it seems to be working fine for me.

The feature you want to turn off is Google Instant. There's a link on the page that says, "Screen reader users, click here to turn off Google Instant." I've been told it isn't visible, but the screen reader does detect it. It used to be on the screen all the time, but I just noticed that it's now there only after I search for something, so you may want to search for a word like "dog," but instead of going through the results, use the browser or screen reader to find the word "screen," which will move focus to the turn-off-Google-Instant link.

Once you turn off Google Instant, you can type without Google trying to read your mind, but if you down-arrow, you will still get the dropdown list of suggestions. Most of the time, you can just up-arrow to get back to your original search term.

Once you turn off Google Instant, you're pretty much set. Every once in a while you need to click that link again, but that isn't very often.

Because several people mentioned the missing Options link, I checked, and it's still on the page. I'm using Jaws right now, and it's right below the Sign-in link.

As an Android user, I do have a Google account, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]