VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Tevelde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:44:39 -0600
Actually features like this are part of the problem and not the solution.  Websites and computer applications in general have become so complex, that we need to define more and more screenreader shortcuts just to read the screen. This is on top of the many Windows shortcuts people need to memorize.  A better solution is a touch screen interface where there are intuitive gestures, and support for Braille displays and other keyboards.  I do web and mobile accessibility testing and get much better results when I am using an iPhone with a Braille display, or  Android device running TalkBack.

More blind people I know in the accessibility field are abandoning Windows when it is possible.  There is another blind person on my team who never uses Windows because of issues I just  mentioned.  If Windows screenreaders are going to survive we need a simpler interface so people can quickly get up and running.  A person  shouldn't need to define settings just to navigate every website they use.
The only problem I am having now is editing in Braille on my iPhone.  I think the problem will be fixed in the next iOS update.  Despite this, I would much rather use a phone than a laptop or desktop.

Dan