VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:55:52 -0700
Hi all,

My netbook has started to turn itself off. It does so correctly, as if
I'd hit alt+f4 from the desktop, then enter on Shut Down. the problem is
that it shuts off when I'm in the middle of doing something, and I don't
always have time to hit the Escape key or tab to and enter on Cancel.
I've already checked my power manager, and it seems okay. Now I'm trying
to run a virus scan and am unable to do so.

So my questions are these:

What may be going on?

How can I scan my computer from the web?

Here's the problem, which started yesterday. I was writing an email when
the computer shut down for the first time. I thought I must have
inadvertently hit one of those magical key combinations that is supposed
to make Jaws crash. I powered up and wrote a few more emails without any
problem. Then again, in the middle of an email, it started to shut down,
only this time I was able to stop it by hitting Escape or Cancel (don't
remember which). Half an hour or so later, while I was arrowing around a
work website, the computer tried turning off again, and again, I was
able to prevent it from powering down.

Over an hour later, I went to the BARD website, started the download for
three books, and read some more email. After a little while, I closed
the email program so the computer could just download in peace. I sat at
my desk another ten minutes doing this and that. Then I left. Fifteen
minutes later when I returned to check on the downloads, the computer
was off. When I turned it on again, I noticed the books had been
partially downloaded.

This morning I decided to get to the bottom of the problem. I checked
the power manager, which was exactly as it had been before. Then I tried
running a full virus scan with Microsoft Security Essencials. Both times
I tried it, the computer shut down about a minute into the scan. I'm not
sure what to do to get a good virus scan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate
and Jaws 13 Professional.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]