VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:02:38 -0500
---- Original Message ------
From: "Sharon Lovering" <[log in to unmask]
Subject: [leadership] seeking participants to answer questions by
March 17
Date sent: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:28:42 -0400

I received the message below this morning, and am hoping some of
you all can
help this student ASAP.  Please respond to [log in to unmask]

To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Jefreena Packianathan and I am a student at the
University of
Maryland, Baltimore County.  For my senior project, I am
researching and
identifying the difficulties and challenges experienced by blind
screen-reader users when accessing social networking websites
such as
Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, or even Twitter.  I am looking to
conduct about
10-15 interviews (approx.  30 minutes each) and have them all
completed by
March 17, 2011.  If you, or anyone you know, are interested in
participating,
please contact me at [log in to unmask] or (301) 351 - 3979
<tel:%28301%29%20351%20-%203979>  as soon as possible.  All
interviews can be
conducted over the phone or on Skype (whichever is preferred).  I
have
attached the interview questions if you would like to review
them.

This protocol has been approved by the UMBC Institutional
Research Board
(Y09RK12088).

Thank you in advance,

Jefreena Packianathan

[log in to unmask] | (301) 351 - 3979
<tel:%28301%29%20351%20-%203979

USER INTERVIEW QUESTIONS

USER BACKGROUND

1.      What is your name? (to be kept anonymous)

2.      What is your age?

3.      Are you currently in school, employed, retired, etc?

4.      Describe your living environment.

a.      Do you live at home with family or are you more
independent?

b.      Are you the only one visually impaired?

5.      Describe your social environment.

a.      If I may ask, are you close with your family?

b.      Are you part of any clubs, associations, social groups,
etc?

c.      How often do you go out to mingle with friends and
acquaintances, or
participate with the above-mentioned groups?

6.      Where do you find most of your support? For example,
friends,
family, school, club, etc.?

7.      Would you consider yourself and introvert or an
extrovert?

8.      Describe  your average day, or week schedule.

USER & TECHNOLOGY

9.      Do you have easy access to a computer?

10.  How often do you use a computer?

11.  What are some common tasks that you would perform on a
computer? For
example, Play a game, draft a letter, write music, etc.

12.  Describe your feelings towards the mouse and the keyboard of
computer.  Would you prefer one over the other, or are you
indifferent
towards each?

13.  How often have a sighted person assist you as you use a
computer?

14.  How often do you browse the internet?

15.  What are some common tasks that you would perform on the
internet? For
example, email, message boards, getting information, etc.

16.  Do you use a specific browser, or browser application?

17.  Do you use any other type of technology in your daily life,
such as a
cell phone, or mp3 player?

18.  Do you use a screen reader for any of these technologies?

19.  If so,

a.      What type of screen reader(s) do you use?

b.      How long have you used a screen reader?

c.      Why did you choose to use this particular screen reader?

d.      Do you customize your screen reader?

e.      Have you ever encountered any problems while using your
screen
reader?

f.        If I may ask, would you consider your screen reader
affordable?

20.  Have you used any other type of product to assist you to use
computer, browse the internet, or use any other technologies?

21.  What are your thoughts on websites that provide a
"Text-Only",
"Mobile", or "Screen-reader" version of the content?

USER & SOCIAL NETWORKING WEBSITES

22.  Have you attempted to create an account on a social
networking website
before?

23.  If not, why have you chosen not to create an account on a
social
networking website, or has the though just never occurred to you?

24.  Why did you decide to create an account on a social
networking website?

25.  Do you have friends that have an account?

a.      Did someone recommend that you join?

b.      Have you recommended online social networking to anyone
else?

26.  Did you complete the process of creating an account?

27.  If not,

a.      What were you reasons for not completing the process?

b.      Did you find any difficulty creating the account?

c.      Would you have any suggestions for improvement for the
account
creation process?

d.      Would you consider attempting to create an account later
on?

28.  Do you currently still maintain the account?

29.  If not,

a.      Did you find any difficulty creating the account?

b.      What were your reasons for not maintaining an account?

c.      Would you have any suggestions for improvement for the
account
creation process?

d.      Did you encounter any problems or concerns while using
the website?

30.  If so,

a.      Did you find any difficulty creating the account?

b.      Why do you choose to keep the account?

c.      What are some features of social networking websites that
you
utilize, such as chat, message boards, etc?

d.      What have you learned while using social networking
websites
specifically, that you had previously not known?

e.       Do you think that online social networking online has
affected your
life in any way?

f.        On which website do you have an account? List all if
there are
numerous.

g.      Are there any specific reasons you chose this website
over others?

h.      How often do you access the account?

i.         Have you encountered any problems or concerns while
using the
website?

CHALLENGES

31.  Can you identify a few examples in which [insert
problem/issue here]
has occurred?

32.  How often does this occur?

33.  How much of an impact does it have on your ability to
compete a task?

34.  Is this a major or minor concern?

Do you have any suggestions as to what you would chang

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]