VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ian Sangree <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ian Sangree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:12:47 -0500
Frank,

I also received one of these messages.

According to Symantec's security page this is a hoax messsage that routes you to a fake microsoft update site and then infects your computer with the Gruel Worm virus.  Delete it immediately!

It shouldn't cause any problems unless you open it and activate one of the "microsoft update"  links that are embedded in the message.  As far as I know Microsoft never sends update emails.  Updates should always be done through the microsoft web page or by using the Windows Update feature.

Ian Sangree
Director of Adaptive Technology Services
The Lighthouse of Houston
3602 W. Dallas
Houston, TX 77019
voice (713) 284-8430