VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Blanton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:37:15 -0400
Your wish is my command.  As I explain how the most common viri work, you may
come to the conclusion that I am NOT particulairly fond of Microsoft and some
(alot) of their tactics.  That assessment would be correct.

First a quck tour of Microsoft's Office suite.  This includes Access, Excel,
FrontPage, Word Viewer, Word, Outlook Express and Outlook.  As some of you know,
all of these apps are tied together to make it "easier" for you to "work".  The
"glue" that binds all this apps together is Visual Basic Script (VB Script or
VBS).

One of the cute little "features" of Windows is its ability to draw a
"thumbnail" of the ACTUAL attached document in Outllok, Outlook Express and
Exchange (Which the Outlook products are based on).  THIS is what the viri
authors exploit.

To draw that cute little thumbnali of the ACTUAL document and not just a generic
picture of a spreadsheet or whatever, the Microsoft email clients (See above)
launch the application that is registered for that file type in the background,
draw the picture and shut the app down.  Now this is where the VBS comes in.  As
a document is loading, the AutoLoad macro is called.  This is where the trouble
starts.

This happens if you don't have the right Security Patches and you have not
turned some obscure setting off.  As I do NOT use OutLook, OutLook Express, or
Exchange, unfortunately I cannot advise on what setting to change.

The AutoLoad macro rewrites another macro such as the Save or SaveAs or AutoSave
macro so EVERY time you are actively USING the application triggered by the
attachment and save a file until the virus is exterminated, the "payload" is
released.  This "payload" does several things.  The first thing it does is
trigger the email client to run in the background.  This is when all your
friends, family, co-workers, whatever are nailed.  It does a Send All and sends
a copy of itself to EVERYONE in your MICROSOFT-format Address Book.  (ONLY
Microsoft-format Address Books are vulnerable.!!!)  The second thing it does is
do its nasty deed on YOUR computer, whatever that might be, from deleting a
couple of files to hosing your entire system.

IF you do NOT have OutLook, OutLook Express or Exchange loaded on your machine
and you use a different email client, you will NOT get stung by every virus that
comes your way.  Personally I recommend Netscape Mail.  Not only does it NOT
draw a picture AT ALL (It displays the filename as a clickable event.), but if
you DO click on the file, it warns you and asks you if you want to open the file
or save it to disk.

Also, since there ARE other ways of distributing viri, I HIGHLY recommend
getting a VERY good anti-virus program and KEEPING ITS DEFINITION FILES
UP-TO-DATE!!!  The best two out there (In order of MY preference) are Network
Associates / McAfee's Virus Scan and Symantec / Norton's Anti-Virus.  I KNOW
VirusScan allows for AutoUpddate of the virus definition files and an AutoScan
of whatever part of your computer you tell it to.  I am sure Anti-Virus allows
for the same thing.

Now, I am NOT associated with any of the companies I have mentioned.  I use
Netscape, Netscape Mail and Virus Scan and I know alot of people that use
Anti-Virus, so...  VBS is so simple a trained chimp could just about write a
virus.  (It was made that way so "non-technical" people could "customize" their
Office apps.)  In other words, it does NOT take a Rocket Scientist to write one
of these things anymore.  (And the former Rocket Scientist in MY family has FAR
too high morals, values and ethics to EVER consider doing so.)

I hope this was clear enough for everyone to understand.  I also hope I have not
offended any Microsoft lovers out there.  Them's be the cold hard facts of VBS
viri.

MaryB.