VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 2015 17:11:32 -0700
Thanks for this info.

Jarte is a nice app in that it doesn't drag the system down like Word,
so if you need some formatting features without needing a whole lot,
it's an option. The developers seem to be aware of accessibility because
the program tells me it's in screen reader mode, so when I have a little
more time, I'll send them feedback about tables and so on.

I use Open Office sometimes, and it works fairly well for me.

I'll definitely try Stan's suggestion of Text Pad.

I use Word because, as a translator, I sometimes need to deal with
advanced formatting. I don't like the ribbons. For screen reader users,
they're definitely slower as you can't easily skip past the groups of
settings you're not interested in, but I've been working with them long
enough that I'm used to them, and I've even memorized some of the long
and mostly random sequences of keys needed for features I use frequently.