VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2015 08:04:25 -0800
Steve,

The Asus Zen Pad is an Android tablet. I don't have any firsthand
experience with that specific device, but you can find information on
android accessibility at
https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/?hl=en#topic=6007234

The help pages for some Google apps have specific information about
accessibility, so you may want to google phrases like, "Play Books,
accessibility," to find out more.

There's also a community driven site on Android accessibility at
www.InclusiveAndroid.com

In a nutshell, to turn on TalkBack, have your wife go into Settings >
Accessibility > TalkBack, and tap the on/off switch to turn it on. A
confirmation screen follows. Then The accessibility tutorial starts up.
You can go back to the tutorial by going into Settings > Accessibility >
TalkBack > Settings.

Android Tablets support multiple accounts, so yours can talk while your
wife's can be silent. I believe that, if one of the accounts includes
accessibility, the lock screen talks so you can get into your account,
but I'm still trying to confirm if this is also the case when the
primary account does not include accessibility.

The other way to share a tablet with a sighted spouse is to go into
Settings > Accessibility to make sure the Accessibility Shortcut is
enabled. When this is enabled, you can short-press the power button to
wake up the device, then hold down the power button till it vibrates or
tilll it makes a sound (3-5 seconds), and finally put two fingers on the
screen and keep them there till TalkBack starts talking. The shortcut is
holding to fingers on the power off screen; the short then longer press
of the power button is how you get there. Anyway, the first time you do
this, have a sighted person around. Every once in a while, device
manufacturers do things that interfere with this gesture.

Good luck.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]