VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:04:49 -0400
Christopher and others

Several of you have missed the points I am trying to make.

(1)  The modern trend in accessability seems to threaten and litigate
rather than seek workable solutions.  The reasons for this include that
this garners publicity and also because it is being done by other people's
money.  Some things may require litigation but this should be a last
resort and only for truly significant and lasting things.

(2)  When I am talking about students, one of the lessons they need to
learn in school is how to become self-sufficient and self-reliant for, in
the private sector workplace, they will need those skills to survive and
succeed.  With the current system of agencies coddling and shepherding
them through the academic system, you can get them their certificates and
degrees; but you are giving them a very sugar-coated view of the real work
world.  When I was in school in the 1960s and early 70s, I was told that
things would always be rough and tough for me and, if I wanted to make it,
I needed to be better than everyone else.  I needed, in other words, to
strive for excellence first and foremost and learn the skills of knowing
how to deal with people to survive in the classroom and otherwise.
I had no one to turn to beyond high school for problem solving other than
my own innovation, the innovation of those I dealt with daily, and the
occasional comparing of notes from other blind students.  For our younger
list readers, this was prior to the era l
of the internet and online exchanges.

Yes, I am glad for today's generation of blind students that they have
better opportunities to share and compare notes and experiences.  Yes, I
am glad that they have better tools at their disposal to make the academic
experience less stressful.  But I cannot help but wonder if their
expectations now center not on their own talents and abilities but upon
technology, rehab people, and the law.

Think about the individuals you look up to and use as role models.  They
are, almost always, those that struck out on their own and succeeded and
exceeded expectations.  They improvised working around issues and
problems.  They relied on themselves first.  I cannot help and wonder if
today's approach is snuffing out this kind of mentality.
If it is, and this is my fear,
then we are doing this generation of blind students a major disservice
even when we think we are making life easier for them in the classroom.

faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who
comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek
Him.
--Hebrews 11:1,6 (NASB)

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]