VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:02:33 -0500
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, April 11, 2000.
CONTACTS:
Henter-Joyce
Sharon Spencer, (727) 803-8000, www.hj.com.
Blazie Engineering, Bryan Blazie, (410) 893-9333, www.blazie.com.
Freedom Scientific, Steve Leese, (760) 602-5232.

HENTER-JOYCE AND BLAZIE ENGINEERING MERGE TO FORM FREEDOM
SCIENTIFIC INC.
St. Petersburg, FL - Henter-Joyce, the leading U.S. software
company specializing in products for blind people, has merged
with Blazie Engineering, the leading U.S. manufacturer of Braille
hardware devices, to form Freedom Scientific Inc., a new company
dedicated to offering a broad line of assistive technology
products for people with sensory impairments and learning
disabilities.
Henter-Joyce, founded in 1987 by Ted Henter, who learned to
program computers after losing his sight in a car accident, is
known for having developed the world's best selling screen reader
software, called JAWS ("Job Access with Speech") for Windows.  By
allowing blind people to achieve the same or higher productivity
in computer-based jobs as sighted people, JAWS has increased
employment opportunities for people who are blind while helping
employers and universities meet the requirements of the Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA).  Located in St. Petersburg, Florida,
Henter-Joyce employs 71 people, of whom 31 are blind or visually
impaired - the majority working in software engineering, computer
programming, sales or technical support.  Ted Henter will stay on
with Freedom Scientific as vice president of advanced development
for software products.  Blazie Engineering, founded in 1986 by
Deane Blazie, an electrical engineer with an advanced degree in
computer science, manufactures a broad line of hardware products
for blind people, including note takers, Braille printers and
Braille displays.  Blazie developed the Braille 'n Speak, the
world's first note taker - a personal digital assistant (PDA)
with Braille input and voice or data output that allows blind
users to take notes,  keep their address book and update their
personal calendars without reliance on pencil and paper.  Blazie
now offers five different models of note takers and holds a
leading global market share.  Blazie employs 75 people at its
facilities in Forest Hill, Maryland and Stuart, Florida.  Deane
Blazie will stay on with the combined companies as vice president
for advanced development of hardware products.
Freedom Scientific is headed by Richard H. Chandler, founder and
former C.E.O. of Sunrise Medical, one of the world's major
manufacturers of rehabilitation products for the elderly and
disabled.  Chandler resigned from his post at Sunrise in October,
1999 after 16 years, in order to form a new company focusing on
technology-based products for people with disabilities.  Freedom
Scientific has been funded with an equity commitment from two
leading private equity firms, Patricof & Co. Ventures, and Summit
Partners, each of which has successfully invested in the past in
businesses focused on disability products.  Credit lines and
additional equity investments have been arranged with two major
banks, further contributing to Freedom Scientific's capital pool
dedicated to the new venture in assistive technology.
Henter-Joyce and Blazie Engineering will continue to design,
develop and manufacture their respective product lines in
separate business development units, but their sales, marketing,
order entry and administrative functions will be combined at the
Freedom Scientific Blind/Low Vision Group, to be located in St.
Petersburg, Florida.  Freedom Scientific's corporate headquarters
will be in Carlsbad, California.
Commenting on his decision to merge with Blazie and form Freedom
Scientific, Ted Henter said, "Deane Blazie gave me my start in
business over 15 years ago, and we have been close friends ever
since.  Our teams have worked well together on numerous joint
efforts over the past several years.  We've often thought it
would be a natural alliance to put our two companies together,
but each of us lacked the necessary capital to make it work.
When Dick Chandler came along with access to venture capital
sources, the pieces just fell into place."
Deane Blazie said this about the merger:  "Ted and I are similar
in that we both have a love of product and fascination with
technical challenges in the blindness field, but we found
ourselves increasingly bogged down in administrative chores as
our companies grew.  The new company's structure will allow us
each to concentrate on what we do best.  Dick Chandler brings a
background in professional management and a track record of
building enterprises through acquisitions and expanding those
businesses internationally.  Our new company will benefit from
numerous synergies, creating the same kind of potential."
Chandler observed, "Ted Henter and Deane Blazie have both built
highly successful companies committed to delivering technology
based products that open the doors of employment and education
for blind and visually impaired individuals.  In aggregate, their
businesses grew by more than 25% last year.  This growth should
be further invigorated by this merger, with its opportunity for
offering customers a broad line of hardware and software
products, along with improved levels of customer service and
support.  Ted and Deane will continue to provide strong
leadership voices in the blind/low vision industry.  Freedom
Scientific, meanwhile, will seek additional acquisition
opportunities in related assistive technology markets, such as
products for the learning disabled and speech or hearing
impaired."
Freedom Scientific's mission is to change the world for people
with sensory and learning disabilities by creating innovative,
technology based products and solutions.
# # # end of press release.