VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anna Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:48:56 -0400
Dorris,

Windows is really nifty stuff.  You can do things with text--moving it,
copying it, formatting it--that leaves a DOS word processor waaaaay behind.
 You can leave a page on a screen and flip to a different screen to look
something up, then flip back to the original page--without exiting
anything.  Therei is a calculator (just in case you can't find yours???),
and an 'index card' program for saving names/addresses/phone numbers.
There's Quicken for writing your own checks; and Openbook and Atlas speaks,
which although directed to visually impaired users are strictly Windows
programs.  I kept looking for things to do in Windows, or I wouldn't have
used it either.  the first two-paragraph note I wrote took about two hours.
 Now it would take five minutes.  but it isn't easy, no getting aroud it.
There isa Braille Windows tutorial from National Braille Press, and a taped
tutorial from Dean Martineau ([log in to unmask]).  Each is about twenty
dollars, and they're both quite good.

Don't do it till you want to, but when your ready to get your feet wet, let
me know how I can help.  It's a fascinating world wit all kinds of neat
possibilities; and it really isn't as bad as people would make it sound.

Ann byrne