VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:46:25 -0700
My car, a Hyundai Genesis has the voice command interface, and it does work
pretty well.  However, I had an opportunity to rent a brand new Ford
Explorer with the My Ford Touch system, and I have to say, the car is
dangerous. Yes, the voice interface works pretty well. However, a new user
of the car, or in my case, someone who rents it, just wants to get the thing
going and get the heater to work and maybe the radio. This interface is a
pure smooth touch screen with very sensitive controls. I messed up the car
for days just feeling the dash because I didn't know it was a touch
interface. Basic things like the floor vents were buried in the menu system
two levels down, and not where one would expect. Floor vents are used for
heat, yet this was under air conditioning. There was no way to drive the car
safely and manipulate these controls. Test after test has shown that
drivers, still prefer buttons which they can activate without having to
look. Voice commands are fine for a second control system but are only
useful after a learning curve. Touch screens in a car should be outlawed.
One other gripe. It has always been true, but as these cars have advanced,
they are taking away the ability of the front seat passenger to control
anything. The voice command button is always on the steering wheel with no
button a passenger can reach. Even the controls are being steadily moved to
address the driver, or worse placed on the drivers door. As a life long
passenger, but the person who actually buys the cars, I find this really
annoying.