VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:02:10 -0600
The Public Has Spoken -- 100,000 Americans Sign WH Petition on
Cellphone Unlocking
  Derek Khanna Feb 23, 2013
  On January 26, 2013, the Librarian of Congress issued a ruling
that made it illegal to unlock new phones.
  Unlocking is a technique to alter the settings on your phone to
use your phone on a different carrier.  Doing so could place you
in legal liability for up to 5 years in jail and a $500,000 fine
(specifically the Librarian of Congress allowed the existing
exception to lapse).  This prohibition is a violation of our
property rights, and it makes you wonder, if you can't alter the
settings on your phone, do you even own your own phone?
  The ruling is a clear example of crony-capitalism, where a few
companies asked for the law to be changed to their pecuniary
benefit despite the invasion of our property rights, its impact
upon consumers, and its impact upon the overall market.  This
decision creates higher thresholds to entry for new market
participants, which hinders competition and leads to less
innovation.
  Overall this is a clear example of copyright law run amuck --
the underlying law was created to protect copyright but it's
being applied in a manner that no legislator expected in 1998
when they voted for the bill.  The underlying law, the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), was passed three years before
the iPod, six years before Google Books and nine years before the
Kindle.  Now that it's clear that the DMCA is being interpreted
in a way clearly contrary for which it was passed, it's incumbent
upon Congress to act.
  When the Librarian of Congress (who had previously provided
exceptions allowing this activity) made on this issue on October
28, 2012 -- Congress refused to act.
  When that ruling went into effect months later on January 26,
2013 -- Congress refused to act.  On January 27, 2013, I
published an article in the Atlantic, The Most ridiculous law of
2013 (So Far): It is Now a Crime to Unlock Your Smartphone that
brought more attention to this issue and received over a million
hits (even briefly knocking the website offline).  Despite
concern from across the country, online and in the mainstream
media -- Congress refused to act.  In my follow-up article I
called their failure to address this issue "a dereliction of
duty."
  Since that time I have helped spearhead a White House petition
on this matter.
  That petition on cellphone unlocking, currently at over 110,000
signatures, appears to be the first petition to achieve the
100,000 threshold for a White House response (until recently the
petition threshold was 25,000).  This accomplishment demonstrates
that people are interested and willing to mobilize on this
important issue.  This show of force of over 100,000 people makes
it clear: the people will not stand for laws that impede their
personal liberty and stifle innovation that are enacted as a
result of crony-capitalism.
  Support has come from an unlikely group of allies.  Among the
many actors, Vint Cerf (co-creator of internet), the National
College Republicans, and the Tea Party Nation came out in favor
of reversing the ban on unlocking.
  People have asked me to specifically address what this means
and what can be done.  When the White House weighs in on this
matter -- and considering they answered a petition to build a
Death Star I think they would have to address an issue of this
serious nature -- it will then be incumbent on Congress to act to
address this problem.  In my Atlantic piece, The Law Against
Unlocking Phones is anti-Consumer, anti-Business, and anti-Common
Sense, I explained:
  "We must ask ourselves: "What specific limitations upon our
personal freedom and liberty are we prepared to accept in the
name of achieving the goal of protecting intellectual property?"
Some limitations may be sound, and Congress should debate them on
the record.  Obviously, we do not have the right to copy books,
movies and music and sell them.  But other restrictions are
invasive and have nothing to do with protecting intellectual
property (like unlocking and jail-breaking your phone or adaptive
technology for the blind to read).
  Restrictions upon the use of technology should receive strict
legislative scrutiny because of its impact upon innovation and
our personal freedom."
  This is a problem of Congress's own making -- now they should
fix it.  On February 21, 2013, when over 100,000 people
petitioned their government for redress on this issue, it is well
past time for Congress to act.
  To those who want to get involved to support property rights,
innovation and the free market -- ask your Member of Congress: 1)
Why do the blind have to ask for an exception to use adaptability
technology for e-books? Why is developing, trafficking, or
selling that technology still illegal?
  As I stated in my previous piece, "Can you imagine a more
ridiculous regulation than one that requires a lobby group for
the blind to come to Capitol Hill every three years to explain
that the blind still can't read books on their own and therefore
need this exception?"
  2) In a world where we can't unlock our own phones -- who
really owns our phones?
  3) And most egregiously, ask them, for our thousands of service
members who deploy abroad and have to unlock their phones to use
them in theater, why are they criminals for unlocking their own
phones without permission?
  In my latest piece for the tech blog Boing Boing, Taking on
Real Reform in a Post-SOPA World -- Let's Start With Cellphone
Unlocking, I prepared a letter for Congress:
  That we should have to petition our own government to remove
these items from a "technological blacklist" is very unfortunate.
If you want to stand up for property rights and against crony
capitalism, you can sign the White House petition until Saturday
night at midnight here.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]