VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:29:40 -0700
I have several scanners. All come with their own software, but the
software isn't very accessible, so I've use them with Open Boo, Text
Cloner Pro, and fine Reader. In all cases, I've always used the Scan
button in the software, not the physical scan button on the device. What
I think I discovered is that, if you use the physical scan button on the
device, you need to retrieve the images from a particular folder, than
run OCR as a separate operation. It's not a big deal if you do a page or
two here and there, but it gets annoying if you scan regularly or
semi-regularly.

First, I have a little Canon scanner that is low-cost and does a fine
job. It was less than $100, has a scanning surface big enough for letter
sized paper, connects via USB, and can be carried in a laptop bag. It's
the CanoScan Lide 220.

Next, I have a Brother four-in-one. I think it's the MFC-7860DW. It's a
black-and-white laser printer/copier/scanner/fax. I think it was about
$300. It has physical buttons, so you can learn to count key-presses and
so on, but again, I use the on-screen button that is part of my OCR
software. The scanning surface is a little bigger, and I think the
resolution is a little higher than the Canon, but in most cases, I don't
notice a difference. The Brother can be connected via USB or WiFi.

Finally, I have a document camera. It's the HoverCam that is marketed
for the blind; I think it's the T5V. It has no controls, so you have to
use the on-screen scan button that is part of your software. The
HoverCam website touts an included OCR package, but like the packages
that come with the other units I've mentioned, it's not accessible
either. the camera is a little bit of a pita to set up because you have
to get the right download, but it's a breeze to use. I think it cost
about $300, and the scan quality is comparable to the Canon, so the
Canon is a better deal for your dollar. The benefit of the HoverCam is
that it's easier to carry, if you plan to take it out a lot, and it's a
little easier on your hands, if you have achy wrists and scan lots of books.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]