VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fernando Botelho <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fernando Botelho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2019 11:02:18 -0300
Hi Stan,

The quick answer is that the best Linux screen readers, in my opinion,
are Orca, for graphical environments, and Fenrir, for text interfaces.

In general you will find that there are accessibility issues under
Linux, just like there are under Windows, so your level of satisfaction
will depend greatly on what you want to do.

Here is a good list to ask questions from those who use it every day:
orca-list mailing list
GNOME Universal Access guide:

Here is a good resource if you want to start learning Linux with a
Raspberry Pi:
https://guide.f123.org/

I am responsible for the latter, so I am perhaps not the most objective
source on that.

Best,

Fernando

On 03/06/2019 10:50 AM, Stan Berman wrote:
> Good morning All:
> I am interested in hearing from LIST members RE their experience and
> any other information of Linux as an alternative operating system and
> environment with software that can be accessible, especially using a
> screen reader.
> I know that there are some screen readers available for LINUX, but I
> would like to know how good they are, flexible and adaptable and
> easily used without being a LINUX tech guru.
> I am interested in LINUX pluses and minuses  in comparison with other
> operating systems, especially Apple and Microsoft.
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated as would any references on
> the topic that I might read.
> Thanks so much in advance for any and all comments!
> Best wishes.
> Stan
>
> Leave list: [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>
> VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at http://listserv.i cors.or
> g/archives/vicug-l.html <http://listserv.icors.org/archives/vicug-l.html>
>
> Send questions on list operation to [log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]