VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:26:14 -0500
From: "Steuerwalt, Jon C." <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 3:07 PM

> Hi, Kelly and other interested listers;> The Arkansas law is not very
long, so I've attached it as a plain text file.
> I don't remember if VICUG accepts attachments, but this should get
through
> to your own email account.

**Vicug-l doesn't accept attachments.  It keeps the viruses away.  I got
the attachment though.  I'm not posting it here.  Instead for those
interested in these state laws, check out the survey of state technology
access laws at:

http://www.ittatc.org/laws/stateLawAtGlance.cfm

> I'm concerned though with attempts to emulate the Arkansas law in other
> states as I think the issue of accessible Information technology is a
> concern for many other people as well as folks with visual impairments.
I'd
> much prefer that new state i.t. accessibility laws be patterned after
> Section 508 of the Rehab Act, or at least reference accessibility for
all
> individuals regardless of disability.  As a matter of fact, most of the
> states that I know of that have accessible i.t. laws apply to all
> individuals.  At this point, those states include California, Kentucky,
> Maryland, Missouri, Montana and North Carolina.  I have copies of most
of
> those laws as well.  If you're interested in any of those, please email
me
> off list.

**Thanks.  Yes, the Arkansas law applies to the blind only.  Also, the
Arkansas law offers only injunctive relief, which means one can only get
the court to make the technology accessible.  It does not provide for
attorney's fees or damages.  One can obtain attorney's fees under the ADA
and under my state's human rights law.  In Illinois, one can also obtain
damages.

> Getting a state i.t. accessibility law passed is not always an easy
thing to
> do.  I know for instance that the Arizona legislature just defeated
such a
> bill for the third time in as many years.  I believe that the more
inclusive
> an i.t. accessibility bill can be, the more diverse will be the support
for
> it - not to mention that I think it's the right thing to do.  Besides
people
> with disabilities, folks who have slow internet connections, older
computers
> and a variety of non-pc web access also benefit from web accessibility
> standards, and these folks can be an additional source of support for
an
> i.t. accessibility bill.

**Agreed.  It is unfortunate that some blind persons view themselves as
an Island and don't fully think through an organizing strategy.  In this
instance, there would likely be a shared intrest by many while achieving
the desired benifit for one group.

> B T W, Kelly in what state do you live?

**Chicago, Illinois.