VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kevin LaRose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin LaRose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:23:01 -0800
First, let me say that I have learned that judging others is a very
dangerous minefield that I normally don't choose to enter. What might seem
like a luxury to me could be a necessity for someone else, so who am I to
say? Take, for example, paying for an Internet connection. I've had people
try and tell me that an Internet connection is an indulgence. When it comes
to people who are blind, I have to disagree. I think an Internet connection,
and by extension the computer itself, have become an essential lifeline for
those of us who are blind. I, for one, could not imagine my life without it
at this stage of the game. This is coming from someone who didn't even own a
computer until I was 32 years old. I certainly couldn't imagine my life
without it at this point, and with agencies like NLS going all digital my
everyday existence is becoming even more dependent on technology. Whether
this is good or bad is a topic for another time and probably another list.
My point is we should be careful before we label others as being overly
indulgent. Their reality might be quite different from our own.
Kevin LaRose

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]