VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2019 06:01:36 -0400
Hi ALL:

I am still relying on JAWS  as my screen reader and have not yet tried NVDA,
but I have experienced problems  like what has been described for the NVDA
questionnaire.  So I wonder if anyone has tried the following if they were
using JAWS, or if NVDA has the equivalent but with different  terminology:

I have run across code  where using the space bar and the enter key to
toggle a check box, a radio button, or  use a key press to move a slider to
increase volume/a location  or page in a document, etc, but the spacebar and
enter key or other key actions would not work.  I discovered that pressing
the JAWS key combination Insert and the Z keys to turn off the JAWS virtual
cursor would allow the spacebar and enter keys to work as expected, i.e. to
check the checkbox, to turn on the radio button, and so on.

I do not know if NVDA has something equivalent to the JAWS  functionality
I've described, so I have no idea if it will be of any use.  However, I
would like to hear if NVDA has something equivalent to the virtual cursor
and if it can be turned on  or off.

I hope that there is some equivalent and that it works... please let me
know.

Stan