VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:32:00 -0500
Too bad folks did not post their responses to the list as a lot of us
would have found them of interest.

Even if pages were made so-called accessible adhering to "standards," I
doubt that the average blind user would find their web experiences much
changed.
The fact is that the vast majority of websites are very usable; the
problem is the lack of knowledge of blind users both understanding how to
use their operating system, their screen reader and a fear of exploring on
their own.
The more I use the web over the years, the more I learn in all categories.
The funny thing is that I've been on the web for perhaps a decade and 15
years before that roaming around CompuServe for hours a day -- I worked
for Compuserve as a forum manager.
What I see is that while some folks grow in their comfort in web use
starting out as questioners and now serving as answerers, others still
have not seemed to move forward.
Perhaps the blind are their own worst enemy in their lack of web savvy.

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.
Corrie ten Boom

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]