VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Lange <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Lange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 19:00:04 -0700
Hi all,
This one's not free, but it's very easy to use.  Try

www.mp3fiesta.com

It's rather an odd name for the site, since I've heard that it's out of
Russia.  I googled it and found that everything about it is legal and legit.
complete albums average around two dollars; individual songs are twenty
cents apiece.

Here's how it works.  To use it, you register by supplying your name and
e-mail address.  I don't recall having to give a physical address and/or
phone numbers.  Anyway, after you register, you can allocate a certain
amount of money to spend for downloads, and you supply your credit card
number.  That done, you now have a balance toward which purchases are
applied.  When your available funds are nearly exhausted, you can refill the
balance.

The way that I shop there is to browse by artist.  So, for example, let's
say I want to buy an album by Jeff Beck, one of my favorite guitarists.
Using my screen reader's link list command, I bring up the links and click
on j.  At the next page, I then can browse all of the artists whose names
start with j.  Ah, but there's a catch that is rather annoying, but I can
work around it.  Artists' names are not sorted alphabetically.  So, I simply
do a string search on the page, looking for Jeff Beck.  Luckily I find it,
and when I do, I'm placed on a link that leads to the list of his available
albums.  Clicking on that link, I'm then presented with a new page.  On this
page, near the bottom, I think, will be  a table of the available albums.
Each table row contains a catalog number, the album name, the number of
tracks, the year it was released, and the album's price.  There's also a
button which I can use to purchase the album. So let's say I locate this
table, and find an entry for something called "Official Bootleg USA 2006",
with 13 or 14 tracks.  The album title is a link, so I click on it.  At the
resulting page, I can find a table containing the complete track listing,
including the track numbers, track titles, the track quality, e.g. 192k 320k
and so on, and the track duration.  If I click on a track name, say "Beck's
Bolero",  "Star Cycle", ""Two Rivers"  or "Big Block", I can hear a roughly
30-second sample of what the track sounds like.

Immediately preceding this track listing is the same buttton that I would
use to purchase the album, so, after auditioning various tracks, I can click
this button, whereupon I'm now told that two dollars was deducted from my
current balance and I now have 48 hours during which the album will be in my
downloads area.

In the downloads area is another table showing a nearly identical track
listing, and each track has a download link.  To download the individual MP3
files, I click on the corresponding download link, or right-click it and do
a "save target as".  That's actually the recommended way to do it. I then
proceed as with any other file download.

Once all the tracks are downloaded, I copy them to my music repository
and/or stash them in My Victor Stream.

There are other ways to do things on mp3fiesta, but this is how I use it.
I've been very happy with it, as I've found almost everything that I wanted
so far and I make sure that I download my purchases within the 48-hour
limit.  I don't know what happens if I can't do that and frankly wouldn't
delay that long in downloading the tracks unless my machine was down or I
got called away for some reason.  If I want an album that much, I won't
waste time; I must have it now.  By the way, for Jeff Beck fans out there,
Official Bootleg USA 2006 is a keeper.  It's a Beck retrospective, with Jeff
on guitar, Pino Palladino on bass, Jason Robello on keys, and Vinny Calliuto
on drums.  Typical quirky but tasty Jeff Beck, but awesome just the same,
especially with such a killer backing band.

Tom