VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Ruell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Ruell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:18:24 -0400
        Hello all,
I hope that you are all having a wonderful summer despite the cooler than
normal temperatures and the incessant threat of rainstorms.  I am sorry
that I have not provided weekly updates of late.  The weeks are flying by
and every time I actually find a moment to write, I am not sufficiently
coherent to attempt any sane communication, (smile!)
Save those Saturdays!!!  I am happy to report that I have firmed up the
schedule for the next three months.  On August 12, we will have our annual
demo of accessible games.  I have been busily stuffing and stamping
envelopes and have sent out announcements to all blind and visually
impaired children between the ages of 10 and 16 who reside in MCB regions 3
through 6.  I hope that this will help both to publicize VIBUG and also
will afford us with an opportunity to demonstrate the power and enjoyment
which the computer can provide.  I greatly appreciate the assistance of
Barbara Harrigan of MCB for facilitating this endeavor.  We will be
demonstrating an accessible chess game, Grizzly Gulch from BAVIsoft,
several accessible games from gamesfortheblind.com, and, if I receive it,
the initial offering from espsoftworks.
In September, we will learn about accessible web searching from one of the
creators of seti-search during our meeting.  In addition, I will do the
last in a series of classes in using IE 5 with JFW at 11:00 A.M.  In
October, Al Sten-Clanton will conduct a class on making JFW
scripts.  During our annual meeting  following election of new officers,
Jerry Berrier will demonstrate the use of Excel with JFW.  Speaking of
upcoming meetings, please be sure to send your suggestions about topics you
would like to see or demonstrations which you would like to present to
VIBUG.  We have a talented membership and are always eager to hear your
ideas and showcase your abilities.  Also, if you miss a demonstration or a
meeting, members can obtain three free tapes of meetings and the fee for
additional tapes or for non-members is only $5.  Contact Tim Cumings with
your requests.
I just mentioned the upcoming annual meeting in October.  It seems almost
impossible to me that the year has flown so quickly.  If you are interested
in being considered for any office or would like to receive information
about the duties of the officers, please contact our nominating
committee.  This committee is chaired by Ginny Alverson and includes Fred
Craver, Stach Wojnarowicz, and Rhonda Mencey.  You may also consult our
bylaws on our web page,
http://www.vibug.org
Also please remember that only FY2000 members can vote, so if you want your
voice to be heard, send those $20 payments made payable to VIBUG to Jim
Roberts, 20 Mt. Vernon St., Boston, MA  02108.
We continue to hold VIBUG chats using the free Hearme software on Thursdays
at 8:00 P.M.  During the summer, this is slightly more informal due to busy
schedules and vacations.  We are often joined by people from other parts of
the country on these chats.  If you need help in configuring your system
for the chat, read the tips for chatting on our web site or feel free to
contact me for assistance.
Where are those recipes?  There was a lot of enthusiasm for the VIBUG
cookbook when the idea was initially proposed, but Pauline and Ginny report
that they haven't received many contributions.  Please send your recipes to
them as soon as possible.  You may call them at (617) 776-9706 or reach
them via e-mail at [log in to unmask]

My thanks to all of you for all of your support and your suggestions.  It
is wonderful to have such a supportive and active memberrship.  We have
almost 150 people on our mailing list and have at least 55 members, which
is an increase from last year.  Keep in touch and see you in August!!!
 Amy
evoice: 800, 222-6000 Mailbox 740-8786
Too many messages and not enough time, contact [log in to unmask] and give
yourself a gift today!!!