VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 06:47:41 -0800
Hi,

At 12:08 PM 10/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
>However, if you already have a browser and a good screen reader, what would
>be the value in this program?  Also, what would be the chance of it
>conflicting with an already existing screen reader?

In answer to your second question I haven't had any trouble to speak of
with conflicts.  When running multiple talking programs one can either
simply load and unload as needed, or look for options within each program
that temporarily turn off speech.  For example, when I run the betas of
HPR, I have JFW set to sleep mode, meaning that only when HPR is the active
program does JFW go silent.  The result is that I can still have multiple
programs running and when I switch back to a different program, JFW's
active immediately.

In answer to your first question, I can see some advantages to HPR.  Much
like programs like Openbook or Kurzweil 1000 are tuned to the needs of
people who are blind, HPR contains features for web browsing that either
don't exist or are troublesome in the typical browser screen reader
combination.  The display of information in HPR is a lot like that which
you get in Lynx.  However getting continuous reading of full web pages is
much easier.  In addition jumping from section to section on a web page is
much easier.