VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2018 19:54:09 -0700
About Chrome, I've had unexpected behavior the last few times I've
installed it. Like you, I don't find a *.exe file in my Downloads
folder. What I think happens is this. After the screen where I check the
box for allowing usage statistics and press the button to accept terms,
I find myself on a screen with different OS versions, each with its
corresponding Download button. When I press enter on the Download button
I want, I get the user authorization window, where you press Yes to
install. Then I press alt+tab from the Chrome install window, and I find
myself on a Chrome setup screen. I'm not positive that this is what
happens because it always catches me off guard.

Having said all that, I just tried it so I could varify the
steps/behavior, but this time, Chrome actually downloaded a *.exe file
for me. It's supposed to be for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 (64 bit). My
Dropbox link follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rufjtkp3p3bdxmk/ChromeSetup.exe?dl=0

If your computer supports upgrading to Windows 10, I strongly recommend
that you try it, especially if you're thinking about learning a new
screen reader. Narrator has come a long way. I sometimes use it when I'm
having trouble doing something with Jaws or NVDA. The current version is
more stable and responsive than previous Windows 10 versions, definitely
a big plus. The next version, the one that is part of the Windows 10
October 2018 upgrade, will swap out clunky Narrator commands for more
familiar ones from Jaws and NVDA.

About NVDA, I use it a lot, especially when I'm doing things on the web.
It hasn't become my primary screen reader, though, because I don't
really get the difference between its two modes. I think I do, but
things don't happen the way I expect, so I'm clearly  missing some key
caveat.

I don't like the NVDA voice either. I use the Microsoft voices that are
already on my computer. I'm on the latest Windows 10 upgrade (Fall
Creators), and these voices work well. Previous ones were sluggish. I
didn't really notice it when I was reading email and playing on the web,
but I noticed it a lot when I was in work mode, trying to get things done.

If you don't like Microsoft voices, you can buy voices for NVDA.
Eloquence, RealSpeak, and Acapela are some of the brands. I believe the
NVDA website links to them, and I believe Blind Bargains also sells them.