VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Maureen Pranghofer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:46:34 -0600
Hi Jim and all This message doesn't have to do with computers but I
couldn't help posting it.  Your statement about the Center for Independent
Living not being able to assist you because no one knew the information
except the contact person is disturbing to me.  The reason is because I
have been involved (in Minnesota) on our statewide independent living
council which works with independent living centers.  Last week I went to
the most disorganized, poorly prepared conference I have ever atteded in
my life.  It was hosted by all the center's for independent living in
Minnesota.  There was no alternative format even though there were several
blind people there.  This was the third conference I've been to where no
accomodations for blind people were made.  And yet the center's are
mandated by Federal law to serve cross disability.  Reading your message
just confirms to me that it's not just a Minnesota thing but a problem of
disorganizations in other areas.  Sorry for taking list time for this.
Maureen