VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:08:20 -500
HI, Dave,
I agree with you that Topica.com is not necessarily a nest of spammers.
Unvortunately vor everybody the spambot programs have gotten smarter.  They
don't even look for real email addresses all the time.  They just randomly
generate combinations of letters and numbers and tack on such domain names
as @yahoo.com or @topica.com or @earthlink.net etc., etc. and send out a
gazillion messages.  More and more of those operations are also based
outside the U.S. and outside of the reach of U.S. laws and regulations.

When you get a spam message now, the address of the sender or the one
supposedly responsible for forwarding, even if it looks like it came from a
list to which you subscribed, could just as well be a total fake.

I still say that smartgroups.com is a better site for a list than either
yahoogroups.com or topica.com .

Reply to: [log in to unmask]
Brent Reynolds, Atlanta, GA  USA