VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 02:52:47 +0100
If only they hadn't dropped Media network from short wave ... However,
they mean some business here.
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
<[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>; <[log in to unmask]>;
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 9:32 AM
Subject: [media-network] PRESS RELEASE FROM RADIO NETHERLANDS,
HILVERSUM, HOLLAND

> PRESS RELEASE FROM RADIO NETHERLANDS, HILVERSUM, HOLLAND
>
> June 28th 2001, 11.00 am
>
> Short-Wave of Publicity
>
> Radio Netherlands has announced that as from Sunday July 1st it will
> broadcast to North America on all the frequencies being relinquished
on
> same day by the BBC World Service. The publicity campaign is designed
> recognise and support the millions of short-wave radio owners in North
> America who still believe in direct contact with Europe from across
the
> Atlantic. "Short-wave remains the only direct way to share a full
range of
> important issues with a loyal audience in the USA and Canada" says
Radio
> Netherlands' Director General Lodewijk Bouwens.
>
> "Holland was the first country to start direct broadcasts and
programme
> exchanges with stations in North America back in 1928. We haven't
looked
> back since."
>
> "North American listeners have always been some of the most committed.
> We're guaranteed a full postbag or e-mail box when we explain
attitudes
> that people in the Netherlands have to drug prevention or euthanasia.
But
> it is much more than that. We see a growing appreciation of this
country as
> an important cultural centre in Europe - a place that invites and
> stimulates constructive thinking" said Bouwens.
>
> Radio Netherlands believes in a multimedia mix. With more than 600
stations
> in North America broadcasting a broad range of music and documentary
> features, certain Radio Netherlands' programmes are already reaching
> listeners on FM in the USA and Canada. "But short-wave offers us the
> opportunity to share a much wider range of news and features at a
> convenient listening time. We can offer more depth and context than is
> allowed on domestic media, knowing that the audience has made that
extra
> effort to tune in.
>

> Fortunately, technical developments mean AM broadcasts will soon have
the
> fidelity of FM. It involves digitising the AM bands over the next few
years
> with a system called Digital Radio Mondiale or DRM. 67 organisations,
> including big name manufacturers such as JVC and Sony, back this new
global
> standard. Hearing the demo of digital short-wave is like listening to
the
> difference between a cassette and a compact disc.
>
> Internet is complementary to radio, but doesn't replace it. Audio on
the
> web is great at playing radio's memory, offering a second chance to
listen
> to a programme transmitted earlier. But the current streaming
technology is
> useless at coping with the peak demands of serious live broadcasting.
For
> every 100,000 listeners over the air at any one moment, there are only
> few thousand capable of hearing the broadcasts simultaneously on the
web.
> "Webcasting is expensive, it is often congested during a crisis, there
are
> copyright restrictions, it's simply not ready for prime time" says
Bouwens.

> Radio Netherlands is heard in English to North America every evening
> between 7.30-9.25 pm Eastern Daylight Time on 6165 and 9845 kHz. There
is
> an additional one hour programme primarily for the West Coast of North
> America at 9.30-10.25 pm Pacific Daylight Time on 6165 and 9590 kHz.
In
> addition, there are Radio Netherlands broadcasts in Spanish and Dutch,
> which are also widely heard in North America.
>
> Extensive information on Radio Netherlands short-wave campaign
activities
> at www.medianetwork.nl . Listeners are being invited to e-mail the
station
> using [log in to unmask] .
>
> Postal address: Radio Netherlands, P.O. Box 222, 1200 JG Hilversum,
The

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/