VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McCann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:47:23 -0500
Hi, fellow listers:

Well, I've finally gotten my system all tweaked, cleaned up, etc.

Two additional questions.  In looking at the "startup" items as listed in
msconfig, I note with interest that my power settings profile is loaded
twice; lines 5 and 12 of 19 specifically.  I know that one tab over is the
"clean up" option, and I've invoked that and been told that all obsolete
items have been removed.  Does anyone know why my computer feels the need to
load this item twice.  I suppose I could uncheck one of them and see what
happens, but I won't have any sighted assistance available until thursday
night; hence I'm not going to risk potentially putting my computer in "never
never land" until then, given how much I rely on it.

My second question is whether there is any utility which allows you to
rearrange the order in which these startup items are loaded during the
boot-up process.  Of the nineteen items, I note that the last three are the
three programs visible in my system tray, exclusive of my Norton anti-virus
program which: (1) is visible in my system tray, and (2) has two components
running from startup; lines 7 and 8 I think.  As David Poehlman has
suggested, once I disabled PC Health, I was able to run scandisk on my "C"
drive, though it took a heck of a long time.  After running scandisk and
defrag pro, I installed (or actually re-installed) "tweakui", which, come to
find out, apparently reactivated PC Health as it appeared as the first item
in startup, even before "scan registry" as viewed in MSCONFIG.  (Needless to
say, I disabled it again.)  It occurs to me that, especially if one has an
external synthesizer, the further up the startup cue you could move
"jfw.exe", the more info you'd get about your "boot-up" sequence, but more
knowledgeable folks on this list might know of some contraindications to
this strategy.

Oh, almost forgot; system here is 700MHz pentium, running windows ME and
JAWS 4.0.

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc.

John