VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:50:23 -0700
I finally updated my desktop to Windows 10 (from windows 8.1). I'm
posting the following observation for other Jaws users.

I was running Jaws 15. I tried downloading the Windows 10 update twice.
both times, the download failed as it reached 100%. I didn't know what
was causing the failure. since I remember that I couldn't install Jaws
15 on my Windows 10 tablet, I wondered if Jaws 15 was somehow getting in
the way. I didn't think so because I was only downloading the update,
not running it, but it was the only thing I could think of, so I
uninstalled all FS products and tried again. this time, the Windows 10
download was successful.

As a weird side note, I use NVDA a lot, especially on the web. Jaws
works really well with a few products. NVDA tends to work better with
most other things. So I use NVDA with all those other things. While I'm
finally used to working with it, I haven't quite come to terms with
eSpeak, so I use NVDA with the Microsoft voices. They're a little
sluggish. I don't notice it when I'm Googling for pointless crap or
reading and writing emails to friends, but I do notice it a lot when I'm
trying to get work done. Since I was in the middle of getting work done
when I downloaded the Windows 10 update, I didn't run it until two days
later. The very first thing I noticed when I uninstalled all FS products
was that NVDA was less sluggish with the Microsoft voices. In theory,
one thing should have nothing to do with the other because I unload Jaws
(ins+F4) before starting NVDA, but apparently it does.

I didn't have this problem when updating this computer from Windows 8 to
windows 8.1 or when updating my netbook from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]