VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:21:45 -0500
Once again, I' sending this message because it has several
technology-related items in it.

Peter

                NEWS NOTES FROM THE NATIONAL OFFICE

For the week ending March 7, 2003.

      *  Safety first: ACB on the move.

      ACB this week worked with the makers of Sound Alert to
encourage the deployment of the life saving technology in the
United States.  After the tragedies in Illinois and Rhode Island
that underscored how both blind and sighted people are equally at
risk in emergency evacuations of public places due to the
inability to locate exits especially in smoke filled
environments, ACB believes the instantaneous ability to locate
the sound source of Sound Alert is imperative.

      Sound Alert emits a broadband sound that directs attention
immediately to where the source is.  Exits equipped with Sound
Alert have been shown to decrease the likelihood of fatalities by
as much as half.  this kind of technology linked with the McGuire
Associates disability evacuation planning kit has the promise of
saving many lives in situations we all pray will never happen.
In the coming months, ACB will share more specific information to
assist in keeping safety first on our agenda as a nation and as a
community.

      *  Video Description Restoration Act about to be launched!

      ACB and our audio description coalition partners have been
on the move this week in getting the right language hammered out
for a Video Description Restoration Act.  Much like when the air
passengers protections had to be restored by Congress, so too
must we now join the struggle to restore our rights to access to
television programming through audio description.  Not only must
we seek access to the programming, but also to the means of
gaining access to on screen menus and navigation of those menus.
It will not be easy, but it is imperative that we restore access
as a fundamental matter of fairness and we will win.  MOre to
come.

      *  Talks continue with Sprint.

      As charlie Crawford was working with the audio description
issue, ACB Director of Advocacy and Governmental Affairs Melanie
Brunson was busy talking with Sprint about access to cell phones
and services.  ACB believes this dialog will only help in
bringing closer the day when blind folks can access cell phones
with the same ease of use as anyone else.

      On a related matter, the FCC cell phone formal complaint is
moving forward with deliberate speed.

      *  Public money, private agendas and consumer choice?
                ACB has become increasingly concerned for the chilling
impact of activities at the rehabilitation Services
Administration on effective use of consumer choice in
rehabilitation services.  Thinly veiled attempts to replace a
range of options for rehabilitation delivery with a monolithic
approach to services, the publication of materials with a single
philosophical focus and the funding of a study comparing
orientation and mobility certification without appropriate
controls to prevent the fox from studying access routes to the
hen house, only narrow if not eliminate legitimate choices for
consumers in access to rehabilitation.  ACB is monitoring this
situation and will not stand by if we conclude that consumer
choice has been compromised by the very agency responsible for
implementing it.

      *  National office spring marathon underway!

      It's that time of year again when membership numbers are
due, affiliate plans for the convention must be in by mid-month,
scholarships begin to move, the summer intern applications come
in, the convention support activities start up, and of course
we've got the legislative seminar in two weeks and the
transportation survey results to input to the web site!   So
don't be surprised when you call if folks sound a bit haggard!
Grin.  Oh yeah, one other thing -- Melanie's computer decided to
die as she was writing up all the legislative seminar stuff and a
report on the accessible money suit still in the court.  Do you
think aspirin sales will be up this month?  Smile.

                                ***

      News notes are a compilation of the highlights of the events
of the preceding week and are not intended to provide a
comprehensive listing of all activities, or treatment of the
topics mentioned.  For information and more detailed treatment of
especially legislative concerns, call the Washington Connection
at 800-424-8666 nights and weekends eastern time.  Be sure to
read the Braille Forum each month and check in with the ACB web
site and radio at WWW.ACB.ORG and WWW.ACBRADIO.ORG respectively.