VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mary P.Blanton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:16:38 -0400
I realize that this is NOT about computers.  However, for anyone living
in the Atlanta Metro Area, this could be of great interest.

For any member that happens to live in the Atlanta, GA Metro Area, I
have some very good news.  I have FINALLY found an EXTREMELY  good
Ophthalmologist
is the Atlanta area.  Through a Dr. Taub in Dallas (Never heard of
him.), Dr.
Rosenthal, the Lead Investigator for the Iris Reconstruction Implants
and my Eye Surgeon, suggested I give Dr. Richard Pare' a try.

Now, I am VERY hard on Ophthalmologists.  It takes ALOT for me to
recommend one.  (Dr.
Rosenthal is the ONLY other one I have actually recommended to anyone
with Aniridia, Coloboma or Nystagmus.)  So, take this recommendation
with that in mind.

Dr. Pare' was extremely understanding of my problems with a full vision
exam because of my light sensitivity.  He looked in my right eye first.
(The one that has NOT been fixed yet.) and he is only the SECOND
Ophthalmologist in my ENTIRE life that noticed the lens involvement and
recognized my major problem as Coloboma and NOT Aniridia.  (And
throughout my life, as a child and adult, I have been to see doctors at
MOST of the VERY best eye clinics east of the Mississippi.)  He told me
he would NEVER have diagnosed me with Aniridia.  (He recognizes both
Aniridia AND Coloboma.  MAJOR points there.)  He is also aware of the
doctor in Cincinnati and his work with Iris Implants.  (Didn't he get
busted for doing implant surgeries without getting Compassionate waivers
from the FDA
first?)

He also recognized my Nystagmus.  (FAR, FAR too few Ophthalmologists
even KNOW what Nystagmus IS!!!  More points for Dr. Pare'.)  I have
been battling some MAJOR Sleep Disorders and did not get ANY sleep the
night before my exam.  Because of this, my Nystagmus was at the worst my
husband had seen it in a VERY, VERY long time.  (He said something about
it being at about Warp Six.)  After taking one look at how bad it was,
Dr. Pare' refused to try and get an Inter Ocular
Pressure with the usual device.  However, with my familial
predisposition to Glaucoma (My
father, who was kind enough to pass on ALL my other eye problems lost
most of his sight to Glaucoma at about my age.), we have arranged for
him to bring a new tool from his other office that will allow him to get
a reliable result despite my nystagmus WITHOUT the danger of scratching
my cornea.  (That was his major concern during the exam last week.

When I mentioned one of the things I loved doing most was Counted Cross
Stitch and my 9.75 power lenses just weren't cutting it any more, he was
willing to work with me.  (The other doctors that I have seen that can
write Rx's in GA
would NOT increase the power because THEY decided that the focusing
distance was just to close.  Dr. Pare' and I discussed it and HE let me
make the final decision.  My 12 power glasses came in late today.

Even though my husband did NOT have an appointment, when Dr. Pare' saw
his right eye, he agreed to look at him.  He IMMEDIATELY diagnosed an
infection and prescribed an antibiotic drop.  Yesterday, when it got
worse, to the point my husband's face started hurting, he squeezed him
in.  And, because my husband would have to time off to take me back for
the Pressure Check with that special device and I have a Post-Op
appointment with my ENT in the same building, it was worked out that my
appointment was changed and my husband and I will be seen one after
another and we will then go on to the ENT.  That shows a doctor who
truly cares about his patients.

Dr. Pare' practices in the building connected to North Fulton Regional
Hospital and also has an office in Cumming.  His partner in Dr. Dunbar.
I have NOT met Dr. Dunbar yet as he was in surgery the morning I was
in.  But he is most anxious to take a peek into my eyes, especially my
left one, the one with the Iris Implant.  Once I meet him, I will give
you a report on him.

MaryB.
Alpharetta, GA

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/pDHolB/TM

The opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not
of the Aniridia Network. If you have any concerns about any medical
issues brought to your attention in these emails please seek the advice
of a medical professional.

http://www.aniridia-network.net

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/